two tracks

hmmm... listened to the first cut...interesting... quite the variety of styles, not to mention tempos!

Conceptually, it may work, but you need to overcome some issues before it really flies. First things first - performance performance performance! Timing has to be spot-on, and if you're doing a song that has tempo or timing transitions, you'd better be bang on with the changes otherwise it just sounds like sloppy mush blended together. Some timing issues in the guitar track need looking into, and vocals - there are a number of off-key phrasings that need correction. Also, the key to good backup vocals is in tightness in the phrasing with the lead.

Overall recorded quality of the tracks seems on the low side.... you don't list your equipment, so without more details it's hard to pinpoint, but offhand, I think you would do well to examine your signal path. The guitar sounds over-effected and doesn't have "air" around it, vocals again, too many effects, and for the drums - clarity is the key word. If you were tracking to some flavour of cassette-based multitrack, the sound issues are somewhat understandable, although in my 4-track days I was able to get very clean and realistic tracks. If you're going to some form of digital recording, you can do FAR better - you need to work on your recording techniques! Check this site often, ask questions -- there's a lot of knowledge available here that people are more than willing to share....

You're on the right track - you've been bitten by the music bug and you're doing stuff - now you just need to get to the next level!

Keep at it.... :)

Bruce

my gear

I am presently working woth a DIGI001 and an Athlon800, although those tracks were recorded with an Event Gina, and PTFree. and we had to mix the drums and guitar into one stereo pair. Now that I have my DIGI001 we plan to redo that one. getting much advice from ppl @ http://duc.digidesign.com on drum mics and such

present system includes

Asus A7V
Athlon TB 800
ATI Radeon AIW 32 DDR
netgear NIC
ADS Tech IEEE 1394
Digi001

128 MB RAM
12x DVD
12x10x32x Teac CD-RW
20.0 GB system disk 5400 RPM
80.0 GB sctarch disk 7200 RPM