Two Toms and Two Mikes.

Drakaland

Hey good name for a band :)

Question about miking toms. Currently I've been miking two rack toms with their own mikes for recording. I do this for control purposes, but I'm wondering if I should switch to one mike in the middle of each instead of using two. I only have 6 channels available and I wanted to free up a channel to try double miking my snare, one on the top and one on the bottom. Is this beneficial or should I continue the way I've been doing it, with two mikes on the toms and one on the snare?

Hey good name for a band :)

Question about miking toms. Currently I've been miking two rack toms with their own mikes for recording. I do this for control purposes, but I'm wondering if I should switch to one mike in the middle of each instead of using two. I only have 6 channels available and I wanted to free up a channel to try double miking my snare, one on the top and one on the bottom. Is this beneficial or should I continue the way I've been doing it, with two mikes on the toms and one on the snare?
Assuming the toms are next to each other, you can use 1 mic for both and still get as much control as you need.

Generally, if a kit has two rack toms mounted next to each other, I put a single mic to catch them both. No lack of control.

I can't understand why you don't just try it and then tell US if it sounds good to you. That's all that really matters.

Back