Two soundcards?

ilikecheese

This is a stupid question, but I have a Sound Blaster soundcard. Yeah, I know they suck for multi track recording. But my question is, if i bought a soundcard such as an m audio soundcard, could I have both soundcards hooked up to my computer at once? Hope that's not to stupid of a question.

Yes. I kept my original SBLive in when I bought my Echo Mia. I used the SBLive as a hardware MIDI synth/soundfont machine.

You do have to physically route the output of the SBLive to the input of the 24-bit card (for example, you have to run the line-out of the SBLive to the tape-ins or a channel on your mixer.... no, you cannot do it all internally in the computer.) Then just choose the audio inputs and outputs of your sequencer to the 24-bit card and they MIDI i/o to the SBLive.

But I found that I got BETTER sound quality by dumping the SBLive and going with a soundfont VSTi (I use Bismark's BS-16, but rgcaudio.com 's "sfz" is free or you could use any sampler like Kontact, Halion, VSampler, etc.) So I eventually dumped the SBLive.

yeah, ill second that. i use two sound cards as well, one for sound modules via midi and the other for live out.just assign which one you want for what, they even have usb sound cards which i just purchased, to do away with those damn pci slots.

jesushimself said:
they even have usb sound cards which i just purchased, to do away with those damn pci slots.

Ya, seriously--I mean, who would want all of the extra bandwidth and quality that goes along with PCI cards? :P

Back