two or one? (SDCs on an acoustic guitar)

andres

I am trying to decide on a mic to record classical and steel string acoustic guitar. The guitars both sound good (the mics don't have to flatter, they just have to be honest), and I'd be running the signal into a FMR "Really Nice Preamp".

Schoeps are out of my budget. I am torn between a pair of Studio Projects C4s or a single Josephson C42. Opinions? Money wise, getting two SP C4s with omni and cardiod capsules for $320 seems better than one Josephson for $430 (stereo recording, though, isn't that important for me).

Oh yeah, I'd be using the mic or mics for hand drums and random percussion.

andres said:
I am trying to decide on a mic to record classical and steel string acoustic guitar. The guitars both sound good (the mics don't have to flatter, they just have to be honest), and I'd be running the signal into a FMR "Really Nice Preamp".

Schoeps are out of my budget. I am torn between a pair of Studio Projects C4s or a single Josephson C42. Opinions? Money wise, getting two SP C4s with omni and cardiod capsules for $320 seems better than one Josephson for $430 (stereo recording, though, isn't that important for me).

Oh yeah, I'd be using the mic or mics for hand drums and random percussion.

I record solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar. I like the Josephsons much more than the C4s, although the C4s are not bad. I would suggest getting one Josephson now, keeping in mind that you'll need to add another one later. According to most anecdotal info, the Josephsons are built to tight specs and an odd pair (i.e., not factory matched) should be awfully close in response. ANother option is just to spring for a pair of Josephsons now and be done with it until you can afford the Schoeps, which BTW are certainly at another level.

Of course, if you're looking a mid-level mic like the C42, you owe it to yourself to check out other mid-level mics, such as the Shure SM81, AKG 451B and Neumann KM184. You might like one of these more than the C42.

There is a bit of a rise in the C42, although it is sweet and not strident. The C4s are a bit grainy, particularly in the bass and low mids, certainly less accurate. The Shure SM81 is an excellent mic, almost ruler flat response, somewhat clinical, but very accurate.

If you're recording solo work, you'll want a pair of mics to record stereo.

Back