Two New Ones

HoGung

Hey everybody. These are the last songs I will be recording and uploading to mp3.com/mitchellmorgan for awhile, everything is torn down and in boxes it's moving time. I was sick as a dog when I recorded "A Fresh Coat" and it took almost two weeks, "Rain Town #1" got recorded in one day pretty much see what you think. MM

Heya, Ho! LOL...

www.mp3.com/mitchellmorgan

Raintown is a GREAT blues number. Love the 1-4-1-2-5 progression. Very clean.

Maybe louder vocals... maybe a bit of compression, as well (push the bass in your vocals up). Get more balls behind your voice, you know?

You know, that lead (right channel) seems up front a bit... maybe delay it a little, pull it down a bit (just a hair, it sounds good). I think the delay (5-10ms) should "fix" it, dunno.

I like it lots.

The beginning of Fresh Coat sounds great. Maybe a touch more kick.

What'dja use? I'm especially interested in... everything. :D

Ooops, ALL of Fresh Coat is killer.

Great "little" photo on mp3, dude. Enjoyed looking at that. Like I enjoyed heading over to Erowid, heh heh heh...

:D

Thanks. You are right about the mix. I should re- do it. You like the photos, huh? The gear I used on those songs was a Korg D-8 recorder, two Audio Tecnica condenser mikes, a Behringer mixer, a Boss DR-770 drum box, a Strat, a Paul, a National Resolectric, a 100$ "made in India" bass, a guitar rack setup with an Art SGX preamp, an Alesis mixer, a Lexicon MPX100, an Alesis MidiVerb4, EQ, and compressor, and an Electro-Voice amp into four EV EVM speakers in an old Marshall cabinet wired stereo but I'm not a equipment freak. Well OK, maybe a little.

Rain Town- I've heard some stuff from you before and it was excellent. This tune I like much, much. You have a perfect suble groove going between the 3 guitar tracks or however many there were. The voice doesn't sound bad either, you may consider singing more?

Great tune

Ray J

I like A Fresh Coat. Yes, more kick ... turn up the rest of the drums while your at it, too. :)
I really like the guitar playing, recorded really well too! I'd like to know some details of how you recorded those tracks.

Rain Town is kinda weird sounding (in a good way) ... almost like it's backwards or something. Needs more kick drum ... I'm almost ready to say drums overall should be louder ... but you have a way of finding a good volume to hide the fact that they're samples and not real. Definitely needs more kick, though. I wish I could hear more attack on the bass, too.
cool vocals ... but they should be louder ... also maybe boost around 2k. Either that or cut a little around 800. Not much though ... just to ease out the boxyness a bit.

Both are good songs ... and good recordings.

Back