Two DAWs

fenderguy4life

Quick question. Is it okay to install two DAWs on my computer or am I asking for trouble? Do I need to uninstall one before installing the other? I'm using a PC. I have Sonar X1 LE currently installed. Thinking of checking out Reaper.

Edit: I also have a copy of Pro Tools that I kinda like. Thinking of going back to that as well. Complications?

Last edited:
You can have both of them installed. I have two DAWs installed on mine. I've seen some computers at Guitar Center with 8 DAWs installed.

You may run into complications if you have both programs open at once, but I wouldn't understand why you would want to.

I have four on my main rig...no probs

you cant run them both at once unless you are using rewire or separate soundcards/interfaces :)

imo Reaper wont do anything more than sonar, unless you really like its workflow...I think getting daws that can compliment each other is one way to work...like a leftfield one like Ableton, Reason, or FL for arranging/ideas and a more trad one for mixdowns, mastering etc

You may find problems if you try to have two DAWs open at the same time (though even that can work) but simply having them installed should be no issue at all.

FYI, I have Adobe Audition as my main DAW but, since it doesn't do any MIDI, I also have an antique version of Sonar which I fire up as required. I'm lucky enough that I can even have both open at the same time when transferring things back and forth.

I have four on my main rig...no probs

you cant run them both at once unless you are using rewire or separate soundcards/interfaces :)

imo Reaper wont do anything more than sonar, unless you really like its workflow...I think getting daws that can compliment each other is one way to work...like a leftfield one like Ableton, Reason, or FL for arranging/ideas and a more trad one for mixdowns, mastering etc

Thank you for your insight. I'm new to DAWs. I downloaded Reaper onto another machine to take a look at it. Even though at first I thought Sonar was a bit ugly, the interface is growing on me. More importantly, I'm starting to see the potential in the system as a whole package. It's very full featured; browser, publisher, cd burner. I got used to Garageband in like 5 minutes. ProTools 8 SE grew on me fast, but with the hardware requirements/limitations (computer and interfaces) in my case I'm gonna stick with Sonar and my new Roland Duo-Capture EX. Seems a ton of work has been put into Sonar and deserves my attention.

Back