Tweeter fuzz issues?

gazzab

Hi folks,

I bought a pair of M-Audio BX8a Deluxe monitors a few weeks back and I'm having some trouble with them. The tweeters keep fuzzing when there's a lot of bass & high frequencies hitting together... I've tried a few things to get rid of it (adjusting hardware - software volume levels, wiring the cables away from all electrical cables) with no luck and I've asked around on the official M-Audio forum with no results (that place is a graveyard :rolleyes:)

I've got them both hooked up to an M-Audio 2496 soundcard via phono-ts cables. They're just standard cables, the music store's own brand. Each cable is about 6ft long.

There are a few albums I have no problems with at all, but some albums (Mr. Hudson's new one) I can hear it irritating me all the way through. At first I thought it might just be bad WAV rips but it's turned up during production a few times now.

If anyone's got any suggestions I'd really appreciate it, cheers :o

Did you buy em new our used? If new, might be worth it turn take em back and get another set. Do you have excessive eq on the software that is playing back your wavs? Where is the volume knob set on the back of the speakers?

I bought them new but kind of want to rule out anything else that might be causing the problem other than the monitors before sending them back... it's weird that they'd both have the same fault...

I'm playing the WAVs on WMP without any EQ, the volume knobs are set to 1/4 on the monitors, 80 in windows and 80 on WMP

Can you isolate the problem to one side or another, or does it seam to come out of both speakers? Maybe turn one off, listen to a song that you know gets fuzzy, then do the other. If its one or the other, switch the cables and see if you can narrow it down more.

hopefully someone can chime in. I got nothin.

Yeah it comes from both speakers, cheers for your help man, I'm still kind of hoping it's something simple like using cheap cables but I don't really have the cash to be replacing them only to find out they're not the problem

Do you have a stereo or something you can plug into the 2496, to see if that has the same trouble? Also, some equipment uses +4dbv and some uses-10dbv outputs/inputs. I beleive there is a jumper on the Audiophile card or a setting in the driver to change this. If your speakers are expecting one thing and the card is outputting the other, then you *might* have an issue. Just something to check into. I don;t really have a good explanation for you on that.

There's a screenshot of the old control panel software in the manual which has the 'consumer' & '-10dBV' settings but the new control panel doesn't have anything, just 'Sample Rate' & 'ASIO Buffer Size'. There's no jumper on the card itself & I can't test my stereo, I don't have the right leads :(

Back