TV Volume

Gandydancers

Different kind of question! Would a compressor work between the audio line
of a DVD player and a TV to keep the sound even between the talking
and the action scenes?

A lot of DVD players have compression on them.
Go to the setup menu of the DVD player and take a look around the options.
3 of the 4 DVD players I have own have that option.

Anybody notice on ABC family how they will go into commercial...then after there would be very quiet adio in the programming...its like they adjust the level down durring commercials and leave it. :rolleyes:

darrin_h2000 said:
Anybody notice on ABC family how they will go into commercial...then after there would be very quiet adio in the programming...its like they adjust the level down durring commercials and leave it. :rolleyes:

Better than most stations that don't adjust it down. When you come out of a quiet show with the volume way up, those compressed-to-death commercials will flat knock your head off! :D

I use an old compressor as a leveler on the TV in my living room at home...

Like 1.1:1 at (whatever it's set at - Probably -40 or so).

Did ya'll know that compressor was invented for the movies? The Dialouge would be recorded with high variations in the volume so they came up with this to fix it. :D

I've always thought that most TV's naturally compress audio signals. When I hooked up the audio to an decent A/V reciever for the first time years ago the level difference between spoken dialogue and action scenes/music annoyed me. I don't think I'm even used to it now ... I always find myself "riding" the remote control volume when I'm watching a movie late at night

Massive Master said:
I use an old compressor as a leveler on the TV in my living room at home...

Like 1.1:1 at (whatever it's set at - Probably -40 or so).

My Alesis 3630 found a home in my entertainment center years ago...

Back