Tutorial DVDs??

blue4u

well that's just like you
Hey all,

I'm having a hard time locating a pro quality DVD tutorial which demonstrates the tracking and mixing process in a studio environment (from start to finish). I bought the Universal Audio DVD. It was decent but didn't go into much specifics on the tracking segment. They don't explain things like why the engineer chose a certain mic on the vocalist over another. Also, the video is used to promote UA products which gets in the way.

I'm looking for instruction with tips on how to hear and locate frequencies in a mix, detailed explanations for mic positioning, what effect different mics have on the singing voice, when and why to mute certain parts on mix down, etc. It's easy enough to talk about these things and there's plenty of that online but I want to see examples. For instance, when someone says that the guitar and bass sound muddy together I want to see EXACTLY how it's fixed with EQ and other effects. People say mic positioning is important so I want to see and HEAR how different positions sound in a treated room. I don't want to see someone tinker aimlessly with a reverb plug-in. Show us how to dial it in and why it sounds best a certain way in the example demonstrated. I'm surprised this type of video instruction is so hard to find! I've searched all over. I can only do so much in my bedroom when I'm trying to learn this stuff!

Has anyone here seen or made such a video? Can you please point me in a direction? Any and all tips are VERY greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!!
Rich

Back