Turntables?

lkmuller

I'd like to start transfering all of my old LPs onto CD and realize that I know very little about turntables. I have a Tascam CDRW5000 to record the LPS onto CD, but need to get a turntable. I've heard that the output of a turntable is weak and needs to be boosted by some sort of a pre-amp, but I'm totally ignorant about this subject. Does anyone know how to do what I'd like to do? Appreciate it.

Many of the consumer-grade turntables that you'll find at a place like Best Buy have their own preamps. This may make it easier when transfering your vinyl to CD-R, but if you have a nice home stereo you may want to think about using its phono stage instead (If you have a receiver with a "phono" selection, this has its own preamp and it is for use ONLY with a turn table {that doesn't have a preamp}).
I'd recommend cleaning your records before the transfer. If you'd like a good link to a do-it-yourself cleaning method, get back to me and I'll find it. Using this method, I got results that really amazed me, and I only invested about $25.
As far as de-clicking, I have a piece of software called "Clean" by Steinburg that is worth checking out. I'm very impressed with its noise reduction for analog tapes. It also has de-click and de-scratch features which, when used sparingly, can help your transfers.
If the records aren't that bad, however, you may be better off without playing with your transfers.

Howzit Eurythmic - sorry it's taken me so long to thank you for your reply. I ended up purchasing a Denon turntable that has a pre-amp built in for $149 from Consumer Direct, which fits into my budget nicely. I've also done some research on the net about cleaning records and read about cleaning them with a 20% isopropyl alcohol and water solution. Does that sound about right? Anyway, this project sounds like it's going to be major fun. Thanks again.

Oh, by the way, I've read about Steinberg's "Clean" software and I think I'm going to pick it up. I'm a Cubase user anyway, so I'm kinda sold on Steinberg stuff.

[This message has been edited by lkmuller (edited 04-09-2000).]

I couldn't find the website that I used for record cleaning info before. I must have not bookmarked it! Here's the solution I used, though:
a half gallon of distilled water
A whole bottle (standard size that you buy for like $.95) of rubbing alcohol
About 5oz of Lysol disinfectant
The site also recommended a few drops of Kodak Photo-Flo, a wetting agent. I couldn't find that, so I went without.
Mix all of that together in a pot or something, and have lots of fresh distilled water on hand for rinsing as well. I used two gallons total. You also want to make sure to use lint-free cloth or paper towels for wiping the records.
And watch those labels! Get 'em wet, and they might come off.
Get one cloth completely wet with your cleaning solution, but wring it out - it should be soaked all the way through, but not messy. This is just so you don't get your label wet - you won't damage the records if you drop lots of solution on them. That's the idea, anyway! Wipe the record in a circular pattern, with the grooves. Don't scrub too hard - the cleaning solution is what's doing the work. Oh, you'll want to make sure you're working on a soft surface as well. I used a towel and put it on my countertop. Anyway, once you're done with that, take a different cloth and dip that into your fresh water. You'll probably have to empty that water out and use some new distilled water every 15-20 records or so. Repeat the process with the "rinse" cloth, turn the record over, and start again. I used a dishwasher tray to put my clean records on, to allow the excess water to drop off. You will want your records to be totally dry when you put them back into their jackets, so give them at least an hour, I'd say!
I think that's pretty much it. For fun, take a record that's in really bad shape, and record a sample with your computer. Then record the sample again after you clean it. That's what I did, and the results were absolutely amazing.
Just a disclaimer: I can't guarantee this cleaning method. It worked for me, but use it at your own risk! :)

I’m like the others I’d like to start transferring all of my old LPs onto CDs and realize that I know very little about
I have a new XL-100 from www.garage-a-records.com and that’s all. I do not know how to get sound from it so I can at lest play a record. What hardware and equipment do I need other than what I have? Do I need a amplifier? If so whit type do I need and can I get?

Ray

Howzit Ray,

If I'm not mistaken, the XL-100 you're referring to is the Gemini turntable. I don't believe it has a preamp in it so you'll need to run it through an amplifier that has a "phono" input. From what I've read, turntables emit a weaker signal than tape decks and other components. Only turntables that have a built in preamp can be run through an amplifier's "aux" input. I just got a Denon turntable for $150 from Consumer Direct, and to be honest with you, I'm pretty disappointed with the sound, and this turntable HAS a preamp built in. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't trust a self-amplified turntable. If you have a normal turntable you will need a preamp. You can buy a cheap dj mixer for roughly 100 bucks (like a gemini) and plug that into your computer and all your problems will be solved. The cheaper route is pick up an old hi-fi amp/reciever at Salvation Army or some thrift shop. They usually run about 20-30 dollars. Anything made in the 80's will still have a turntable preamp. Just plug the line out into your computer.

Howzit,

Well, what I ended up doing is plugging my turntable into the phono input of my Fisher receiver, then from there into a Mackie 1202 mixer, and then from there into the soundcard of my computer. And you know what? It ain't half bad! Anyway, there's probably a better and less convoluted method, but I haven't stumbled onto it yet. I record the music into my computer with Cool Edit, then normalize it and do the noise reduction trip. I don't know if I should be doing the noise reduction first or what, but the results have been pretty good. I always open for suggestions though. Thanks for all of your replies!

OH YEAH ---- I've been cleaning the records with the alcohol, water and lysol solution and the results are really amazing, just like you said, Eurythmic. Thank you. You've been a great help. By the way, I picked up Steinberg Clean, but haven't been able to get results as good as Cool Edit yet. I probably need more practice.

[This message has been edited by lkmuller (edited 04-23-2000).]

Back