turntable features

topolino

okay, let's say I was going to purchase a turntable from a secondhand store or pawn shop for under $100 Canadian. obviously I won't be getting one with the versatility and radness of a bonafide dj table. Real dj tables are much more like musical instruments than just an old clunker that plays records for you, right?

but my purpose in buying this turntable is to use it as much like an instrument as I can. so what specific features am I looking for? What are the various qualities that separate good, useful turntables from clunkers? how likely am I to find some or any of these qualities in secondhand models?

like this

well, the arm needs to be balanced just so, and to weigh only so much, and no more. the motor that turns the wheel needs to have just the correct amount of torque, and so on.

Don't get one with an auto arm....

And you'll need a mixer if you want your technique to sound like traditional turntablism

> chrisjob

well nah, what I'm thinking at this point, with my limited set-up, is just to obtain samples from records, I'd only be using one player. and sort of tweak the speed to various degrees. But I wouldn't be doing any mixing of records type stuff.

an auto arm is when the arm is carried onto the record by a lil motor and placed on it, and then lifted off at the end?

Yeah, its a pain in the ass, like what idiot can puta record on the platter but not drop the arm..

I guess anything'll do, but you might want to just check these things out.

-Belt drive or direct drive, if it is belt, it'll be a lot cheaper, just check out the pick up and all..

-the connections:meaning the phono plugs, and the needle.

can use replace the phono cables? or are u forced to use the ones that have been on since 1970? Can u easily change the cartridge and/or needle if u wanted 2?

For sampling, all u really would need is "Record player"

hope this helps, dont buy a lemon knameen? get the Sentra with under 100,000 on it.

Back