Turning up the volume

tddrummer

I have had a problem with getting my music the same volume as...i guess you would say the norm?? I posted in the drums forum because im a drummer and i usually track drums first. Maybe it is my equipment. My sound card is all the way up, and i tend to loose quality when I turn my mixer up(it gets boomy)
So I have the main (on mixer) almost halfway and the mics individually pretty low, to avoid the "boominess". I'm shure that this is a problem that everyone encounters, but any tips?

Well does that really matter..im just asking how to get the drums louder, so that i can have my overall song louder. Am i supposed to turn the mixer and soundcard then ounce I record guitar, bass etc.. turn the drums up?

You compress the drums.

However, you wait until the mix to do this. Mix the song so it sounds good, then take the mix and run it through a compressor and/or limiter to get the volume up. It is the last thing you do, not the first.

If you are having a hard time hearing the drums when you are tracking the other things, turn the other things down. You might be tracking too hot.

If it's just not loud enough in your headphones, you need a headphone amp or a real interface.

Last edited:
Everything is fine in terms of hearing it it just needs to be louder like other music.

I have a behringer comressor (i think) but it might be for guitar..does this matter? I dont rember the name..im shure that would help.

What are you recording on? If you are recording into a computer, use a compressor plugin.

What I do is route my drums to a buss (group channel) and compress that.

hey farview, i wanted to ask you, in what order do you usually put your plugins in?

ive been doing this :

compression first > then EQ > then reverb if needed

but in the other thread you mentioned eqing the kick and then sending it into the compressor.

i just thought the compressor would fuck up the EQ as it plays with the peaks and valleys of the waves?

It all depends.

If the original signal has (for example) a prominant midrange that you are going to EQ out, I would EQ before compression. Otherwise the compressor will be reacting to the midrange that isn't going to be there. for a kick drum, I would much rather have the compressor reacting to the low end that I dial in.

If you want the compressor to react to the original sound, compress first.

I also always put reverb on an aux send, never an insert.

Back