turning on phantom power

jaz49

I posted this question on the newbie board, but thought I might try it here as well. Is it possible to damage a condenser mic if you plug it into an audio interface/mixer with the phantom power already turned on? I purchased a second hand mic from a classified forum and when it arrived I couldn't get a decent signal out of it...the output was WAY to low...even at max gain(over 60dB) on my pre with phantom power on. There's no pad on the mic. the guy I purchased it from said I may have damaged it by plugging it in with the phantom power already on. I don't think I did that, but I suppose it's possible. Would that damage the mic? I've been using an AT3035 for about a year and a half with no problems whatsoever...plenty of clean strong signal. I tried the AT mic with the same signal path as the new mic and it works fine, so it's not a problem with the pre or cable. Any ideas before I send it back? It's almost brand new.

Its possible, but I'd say unlikely.

Most modern condenser mics are fine to be [un]plugged with phantom on - the reason why it is often advised again is because it usually results in a sharp, loud pop or crackle in the signal which a) is loud and annoying if you are monitoring the signal, and b) can damage amps and speakers, etc.

Its possible, but I'd say unlikely.

Most modern condenser mics are fine to be [un]plugged with phantom on - the reason why it is often advised again is because it usually results in a sharp, loud pop or crackle in the signal which a) is loud and annoying if you are monitoring the signal, and b) can damage amps and speakers, etc.

Makes a lot of sense, thanks

Last edited:
Don't hold me to it though... some people will say that it can damage a mic; I don't dispute the possibility, just the probability of it happening with a modern consumer-targeted condenser intended to be used and abused by us uneducated folk :).

Bottom line, the mic is probably faulty. If the mic was for some reason damaged by phantom power, it was probably due to some existing potential fault (i.e. a component about to fail). Either way the mic sold to you was faulty and so the guy should take it back from you.

EDIT: looks like crazydoc came up with some good discussions that confirm what I thought

Thanks... I'll check the links crazydoc sent. If you could damage a mic with the phantom power like that you would hear a lot of horror stories, don't you think? Like "I just bought a new $700 mic and plugged it in with the phantom on, and it got trashed." We hear these kind of stories about ribbon mics and phantom power, but never with a a LDC as far as I know.

The phantom power on my mixer has been on since 1996. I have never had a problem with a mic due to plugging or unplugging.

You do want to mute the channel before you plug or unplug....

It is always recommendable to kill phantom before plugging or unplugging a mic. Potentially you can gradually damage the inputs of your gear from the POP that's created.

Quite a few years ago I did fry a mic plugging it in with phantom hot, but it was an insanely cheap, generic mic. Never any other issue.

Be safe.

I usually DO turn it off before unplugging. I was just asking in case, in this particular instance, I mistakenly plugged the mic in with phantom on. But it's a Kel mic and judging from all the replies I've read here and on the newbie forum, it wouldn't have been the cause of the malfunction even if phantom power was on.

Back