Turning Garage in to Home Studio. Suggestions?

Coops409

So I was cleaning out my garage today as step one of operation: turn-my-garage-into-home-studio. While in there I found a package of tiles (like bathroom tiles, maybe 1x1?) and started thinking about maybe like some sort of small bathroom-like chamber? Maybe I could use them to construct a small chamber to put a guitar amp into get a natural reverb sound? Anyone have any experience with this?

Also I found a 2x2 plexi class square. Anyone know of any use just one of those would have?

I found some stone bricks also. I have 4 so I put one in each corner of my garage as maybe some sort of pseudo-bass trap maybe?
Also put a ceramic/clay (not sure which) pot upside down in one of the corners as the same kind of idea.

Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about and so you guys can see my garage and offer any ideas you might have:

0206121846.jpg0206121846a.jpg0206121846b.jpg0206121846c.jpg0206121847.jpg0206121847a.jpg0206121847b.jpg

You have some nice space there! I have a feeling your garage is going to look pretty rad when your finished with it!
My suggestion would be to put some sound proofing (and/or acoustic treatments) on those walls first.
And for the plexiglass and ceramic tiles? Construct a small chamber in the corner with them and use the plexiglass as a window in it :)
Are you using the entire space as a studio?

Just my two (measly) cents. Have fun building it!

Your space has much potential. That garage door is likely it's weakest link tho. I'd forget the 'chamber' idea. Natural sounding reverb comes from a room. A large one, not a small space. Not sure what bricks or that flower pot has to do with trapping bass. Treat your ceiling and corners with appropriate materials (rockwool, OC703/5 or similar). There is tons of info on DIY solutions to broadband absorption on this and many other forums.

Yeah, nice space. I was in a 4-car garage until recently. Like Jimmy said, the weak link is the doors. The cement floor is a good thingg, just get some cement sealant and you can have a really nice looking floor without worrying about dust, etc....

Forget the bricks for "bass-trapping" or anything esle that has to do with sound treatment. The first thing you should do is get real rigid fibreglass bass traps in all 4 corners. From there, as much bass-trapping as you can get in places like first reflection points, a cloud over your listening are, etc....

There's a lot of potential for that room.

I did see a privacy/stockade fence out side the garage door -- Are your neighbors that close?
That is going to be a big problem if so.

Construct a small chamber in the corner with them and use the plexiglass as a window in it :)
Are you using the entire space as a studio?

Thanks that's a great idea! I'll have to try it! and yeah I'm using the whole space. Still need to store cars in there but when I'm recording cars will be in driveway.

Your space has much potential. That garage door is likely it's weakest link tho. Not sure what bricks or that flower pot has to do with trapping bass. Treat your ceiling and corners with appropriate materials (rockwool, OC703/5 or similar). There is tons of info on DIY solutions to broadband absorption on this and many other forums.

Would it be better to record with the garage door down or up? The bricks and flower pot are there because I know nothing about bass traps, lol.

I did see a privacy/stockade fence out side the garage door -- Are your neighbors that close?
That is going to be a big problem if so.

Yeah but I went over there today and he was excited that I was building a studio. Hah, he even gave me a spool of cable to make XLR cables. He's excited to see it when it's done, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Yeah but I went over there today and he was excited that I was building a studio. Hah, he even gave me a spool of cable to make XLR cables. He's excited to see it when it's done, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Translation: The coolest neighbor ever.

Back