Turn Off Effect in QS8

Tileeba

Hello!

I have an Alesis QS8 conected through MIDI to my computer, where I sequence with Sonar 3.

Someone told me that when I record the sound of any instrument, I should record without any effects (like reverb) - which I will add later on when I mix.

I read the manual of QS8, but it seems too complicated.

Does anyone know how to turn off the effects in QS8 when I record in MIDI through the Mix Mode?

I'd truly appreciate your help!

"I read the manual of QS8, but it seems too complicated. "

'Ya gotta read the manuals otherwise you don't learn nothin....

p61 - Editing Effects

There is an Effect configuration for every program (in other words, there doesn't seem to be a global "effects on/off").

p62 shows you how to change it in two clicks.

'Ya gotta read the manual....

You helped me narrow it down to the right section, at least. Thanks a lot. I'll go and read the manual now... :)

remember there are up to 4 voices for each note depending on the patch. You may have to shut it off on each one individually if the patch you are using has more than one voice. I don't know for sure how it is set up, I haven't bothered to do much editing. The way to tell is to turn all the voices down in the patch and turn one up and work on it individually. Each voice will be accompanied by a set of parameters volume being one of them.

Call me stupid, but I still can't figure out how to turn off "reverb" when I sample in Sonar 4.

What I want to do is sample instruments from my Alesis QS8 in Sonar 4 (That I already know how to do) - and when I record the instruments as wave, I want the "REVERB" turned off in my Alesis QS8.

Could someone please guide me through the process? I'd really appreciate it!

Maybe there is a quick fix

I have suffered reading through this manual I feel for you.

That effect might be controlled by one of the 4 sliders by the headphone
level slide. Give it a try.

I tried the MIDI out when I first bought the KB but I'm not crazy about MIDI
It has no soul. All I do with mine is record in analog and sometimes use the
transpose function to tune to saxaphones so I don't have to transpose in
my head.

The easist way to remove all effects is to turn down the effect level for each of the 4 sonunds of a program,

1) select a patch you want to use (e.g. TrueStereo..)
2) Press "Edit Select"
3) Press "Level" (upper button 50)
4) Press "Sound 1" (upper button 00)
5) Press "< Page" or "Page >" until the display reads "Effect Level"
6) move slider D up a little and then all the way down (the level should now read 00)

Repeat steps 4-6 for sounds 2-4.

This procedure does not change the effects, it only stops them from affecting the sound. These changes will also only be temporary unless you save the edited program to a User bank.

One of the best investments I made for understanding the QS programming was a dedicated editor program (I use one called QS SoundEditor. www.soundtower.com). It lays things out in a very logical and easy to understand way.

Back