Tuning Versus Presence

skaltpunk

So I mic'ed a vocal track with one room mic and one close large diaphragm mic. My choice is between the two. The room mic covers alot of tuning issues as sound is bounced around the room but doesn't have much presence or fullness. The diaphragm has that but the tuning isssues are brought to the fore. I hate to do pitch correction. What do you all think?

Decisions, Decisions.

You make it sound like your stuck with what you have verses re-recording.
If that's the case then maybe you should pitch correct the most noticable track, and then blend the two like you normally would so you have a nice round sound.
But if you can re-record...... :D

skaltpunk said:
So I mic'ed a vocal track with one room mic and one close large diaphragm mic. My choice is between the two. The room mic covers alot of tuning issues as sound is bounced around the room but doesn't have much presence or fullness. The diaphragm has that but the tuning isssues are brought to the fore. I hate to do pitch correction. What do you all think?

If the pitch is off on 1 track it should be off on the other. In my admittedly limited experience, I have never seen a room that would change the pitch of a vocal performance. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I guarantee. Is there a reason you can't blend the 2 tracks?

Pitch correct it, or resing it. The room mic is out of tune as well, you just don't notice it as much because of the lack of presence. If you EQ'd some of the presence into the room track, the pitch problems would come back.

Back