Tuning the snare without the ring?

Stress Release

I have been a live performer for many years and I have never worried much about my snare drum with a little ring to it but since we have begun to venture into the world of recording, the ringing of the snare drum is becoming bothersome. I like the sound I get from my steel 14"x5-1/2" snare but the ring needs to go away for recording purposes. Can anyone help to take away the ring while preserving the tonal qualities I like?

simple and cheap and usually works

Try a strip of suede leather about 1/2 inch by 4 inches attached to the batter head with a piece of tape. Seems to take out the ring without affecting the good aspects of the steel snare drum sound. works for me. good luck!

You like the sound & behaviour, but not how it sounds recorded.
Correct?

I think the solution would be more in mic'ing than muffling. What's your setup? If nothing else, I can help you ask the right question. If you're really asking how to tune or muffle a drum, I can go on for a long time.

I highly recommend Moon-Gels.
I discovered them years ago and they are totally indispensable for live or studio.
They are a small 1"x2" bluish soft tacky rubber pad (kind of like the old GAK toy you could sling and stick on the wall or TV).
Just lay one on the top head somewhere near the rim. Experiment moving it closer to the center for a deader sound.

You will love them ,a pack of 4 is a measly $5 at Guitar Center.

I love a bit of ring on my recorded snare, totally dead and it disappears in the mix.

I have to agree about the ring. While true, too much is over kill, but there is always ring on the snare on any quality recording. The ring will be lost in the rest of the music. But if you muffle the accompanying frequencies and sounds that die with muffling will never be there to make it sound good. Now you may have a monster ringer, and in that case, O-rings can do the trick. maybe if you have an old head take it, cut off the bearing edge and make a ring about 1/2"->1" (the more the less ring) and that will change the sound some. Metal snares have more ring by nature of their construction, no wood to absorb any sound.

rings

I don't know how many of ya'll have actually recorded using those things, but I never had any luck. They are fine for live, but when you close mic a snare near one of those rings you will hear a slight flutter or buzz that the ring makes when it is floating after a hit.
It was too annoying for me anyway. I still reccomend Moon-Gels over the rings any day.

Re: rings

tmix said:
I don't know how many of ya'll have actually recorded using those things, but I never had any luck. They are fine for live, but when you close mic a snare near one of those rings you will hear a slight flutter or buzz that the ring makes when it is floating after a hit.
It was too annoying for me anyway. I still reccomend Moon-Gels over the rings any day.

I've never had issues really with 'em recorded. Having said that - I don't normally record with them either as I like some ring in my snare..

I'll have to give the moon-gels a try sometime as I've heard nothing but good stuff about 'em.

another cheapo solution is to just stick a small square of duct tape on the edge of the head....that tends to get rid of the 'ole ringy sound as well.

peace:D

The moon gel is something i just added to my kit - and i have to tell you that i am impressed.

It does leave just a bit of ring to the snare - just enough to finally make it the exact sound i was looking for.

I generally use the tape trick with my heads when recording - but won't need it anymore due to the gel.

By the way - that also is adjustable - you can trim them into smaller pieces if you find they deaden your sound too much - or add an additional piece if you want more........

Rod

Thanks for all the info. I'll try the gels and get back to you all. I agree there still needs to be a resonance to the drum but the overtones, which is a mid frequency tone, needs to be hushed and it sounds as though the gels may do just what I need. By the way, I have a 5 peice Yamaha kit. I use a SM 57 to mic the snare, individual CAD mics on the toms, kick, hi-hat, ride and 2 condensers as overhead mics. I've tried gating the ring but the sound then becomes unatural sounding. Any other advise is welcome!
Thanks again!

The really great thing about the moon gels is you can move them to different parts of the head and get different amounts of ring. For very difficult floor toms I use two of them. Can't record without them and trust me I've tried every crazy idea for dampining the heads.

Back