Tuning problem w/ capo. Help please!

kesterdevine

Hi,

I am having tuning problems when I use a capo on my acoustic guitar (an Ovation Legend).

I have checked the intonation of the open strings against the 12th fret harmonic and everything is in tune. The guitar is in perfect tune at 440 according to the electronic tuner.

Problem is, when I put a capo on, the guitar is going slightly sharp. Sounds nasty.

I have used a capo on this same guitar in the past and the tuning
was fine. But I just can't get it in tune now.

I've been asked to play a song that requires the capo at a friend's gig this weekend, so I really need to fix this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kester

kesterdevine said:
when I put a capo on, the guitar is going slightly sharp.

Hey, Kester.

This is a natural result because the capo frets the string tighter than your fingers. It's a surprise that it didn't do that before. Did you get a different capo? or change an adjustment on it?

Is it possible to be plugged into a chromatic tuner at the gig? Whenever I capo, I try to retune.

thanks apl!

The good news is my guitar has a built-in chromatic tuner so that's easy. It seems to solve the problem to simply tune after I place the capo. Cool!

But this is a curiosity to me.

I really don't use a capo very frequently, so I don't have a lot of experience, but I've never noticed the tuning problem before on this guitar or any of my other ones.

Also, I see a lot of players take the capo on and off without retuning and they don't sound out of tune.

My problem is solved, thank goodness. Still, I'd be interested to hear other takes on this.

Thanks again for the help!

One thing that helps me is to put the capo right up behind the fret you want to be the "zero" fret. This, in essence, makes the capo's job harder...more pressure is required to push the strings down in this position than, say, if you clamped the capo down directly in between the frets. Just try fretting with a finger right "behind" a fret instead of dead between two and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I find that if you do this the capo doesn't pull the strings as far out of tune.

Super non-technical and really a nerdy post, but it does help me sometimes; so that's my $0.02.

What kind of capo is it? If it is a Shubb (the best capo on the market), then I would suggest you try loosening the tension a little. That will help. You want it to be just tight enough to fret the strings cleanly, and no tighter. Also, if it is a Shubb, the rubber sleeve can wear away, and you can get a replacement sleeve. But I would probably just retune the guitar once you have the capo on, which is what most people have to do.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

all better...

It's a Keyser capo in brand new condition. I don't think it's adjustable. Tuning seems fine when I tune after putting the capo on, so that's what I'll do. Thanks alot for the suggestions.

One thing that helps me is to put the capo right up behind the fret you want to be the "zero" fret. This, in essence, makes the capo's job harder...more pressure is required to push the strings down in this position than, say, if you clamped the capo down directly in between the frets. Just try fretting with a finger right "behind" a fret instead of dead between two and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Listen to Brent - that's the way you do it.

I capo right behind the fret also. I've used a Kaiser capo for many years. It does make the tuning go sharp a little but it's never been enough to bother me. I even capo at the 5th fret for one song.

I may have to get one of those Shubb capos... they look pretty cool. Do they just pop on/off or do you have to screw them down?

Scottgman said:
I capo right behind the fret also.

ditto here

did nothing but acoustic guitar for about 2 years....quote the raven "If i ever do that crap again....just shoot me"

one thing i found is that the capo sounds best when right behind the fret and theres not so much tension on it that the string wire bends.....I've broken more strings with a capo on than without. the best remedy for the detuning on my guitars were new strings.

Scottgman said:

I may have to get one of those Shubb capos... they look pretty cool. Do they just pop on/off or do you have to screw them down?

It is just a lever, so no, you don't have to screw them down. They work great, and I much prefer them to the Kyser.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Shubb capos are great. No good if you like to move your capo fast, but other than that they do the job. Like most of my favourite bits of gear, it just does its job well, and keeps on doing it for ever.

Another Shubb (snub??? I've heard him called that :) ) user here. Ditch the Kyser, it's just an overpriced clothespin.

kesterdevine said:
Hi,

I am having tuning problems when I use a capo on my acoustic guitar (an Ovation Legend).

I have checked the intonation of the open strings against the 12th fret harmonic and everything is in tune.
You should be checking the open strings against the 12th fret fretted
strings.I have found it to be a much more accurate way to check intonation.

Exactly right, Sheppardb.

By physics, the unfretted 12th fret harmonic is exactly one octave above the open string.

However, when you fret the string, you bend it, just like when you push it sideways. This tightens the string. If the 12th fret was exactly half the string's length, it would be sharp when fretted. The intonation adjustment lengthens the string to compensate for the fretting induced extra tension.

You can use that data to set your intonation. Tune the harmonic exactly to pitch, then check to see if the fretted is to pitch. If sharp, lengthen the string, by moving the saddle away from the bridge. If flat, shorten the string.

It gets tricky, though. The intonation is affected by neck bow and string height and length. The neck bow is affected by string length, height and tension. And then thow in a tremolo...

Intonation is and should be set using the twelfth fret harmonic and the twelfth fret fretted note. There is an excellent article on the subject of intonation, and why guitars will never play in tune, written by (I believe) Al Caruth. It is out there on the web somewhere. It is quite extensive, but it will really clear up everything you ever wanted to know (including why Buzz Fientien is full of shit).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back