Tuning kick drum

I really like the power stroke 3 head. I used emads for a long time, but they were kind if thin sounding compared to the power strokes. I have always hated Aquarian heads. Always too thick and dead. (at least the models everyone came to the studio with)

Im not s large fan of using a kick head that isnt dampened. I know you can dampen it yourself I just prefer the sound of a bater head with a dampening system right on it. I played my friends kit with im not actually sure what kick drum heads but I know it wasnt the emad or the super kick ( Aquarian ) and I just didnt really like it

I really like the power stroke 3 head. I used emads for a long time, but they were kind if thin sounding compared to the power strokes. I have always hated Aquarian heads. Always too thick and dead. (at least the models everyone came to the studio with)

I agree. I think Aquarian's tom and snare heads are crap. But that Superkick is a damn fine kick batter.

View attachment Tonight.mp3 Sorry its taken so long, been crazy busy with work. This is as close as i was able to get with the sound by retuning my drum, dropping the batter head tuning quite a bit and having the reso head tuned not to high but just high enough so that it will resonate when i hit it with a drum stick. and also using the eq tips Fancypants gave me

The kick sounds better. However, in my opinion, it sounds a little over compressed (tight). But you are getting the attack you are looking for. Try bringing up your overheads to get more kick resonance, assuming you are using overheads and more important, using good overheads.

You have to start with a perfect sounding bass drum. First move around while the drummer plays quarter notes and find the best location for the mic. Then place the mic there and create a tunnel of carpet over stands to keep other sounds from coloring the bass drum sound. To fix an already wimpy sound, copy the track twice so you have three. Then put a parametric eq on each. On number one, tune for the bottom using the "Q" to isolate the tone at about 100 Htz. Then make two be your mids, with the focus on about a punch sound. Do three for the crunch in the top end of about 1kHtzor 2kHtz. What you're looking for is a good sounding BD track. Not a final track. Once the three sound good together, mix them down to one track. You're not done yet. Now you eq that final track to fit into the mix. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it will be worth it if your BD track really sucks. Good luck,
Rod Norman

I feel completely ridiculous asking this question cause theres so many different ways but im at a loss. How Do you tune and or EQ your kick drum to give it alot of punch and good tone. Again i know this is a very dumb question but ive been at it for days and i cant seem to get it right. Ive tried every mic placement idea i can think of, ive tried different ways of tuning my kick, ive tried various forms of eqing it and i cant get anything close to the sound im looking for, I know alot of it has to do with the room im in and the heads i use and the mic im using as well. Im using a Chad Smith custom Pearl. So a 22x18 maple bass drum. batter head an aquarian Super Kick 2. and for the mic a CAD D10. Playing in a carpeted room with a couch and some beds. Room isnt sound proofing treated ( or how ever you say it ). Any help would be greatly appreciated, and i love me some sarcasm :guitar:

You have to start with a perfect sounding bass drum. First move around while the drummer plays quarter notes and find the best location for the mic. Then place the mic there and create a tunnel of carpet over stands to keep other sounds from coloring the bass drum sound. To fix an already wimpy sound, copy the track twice so you have three. Then put a parametric eq on each. On number one, tune for the bottom using the "Q" to isolate the tone at about 100 Htz. Then make two be your mids, with the focus on about a punch sound. Do three for the crunch in the top end of about 1kHtzor 2kHtz. What you're looking for is a good sounding BD track. Not a final track. Once the three sound good together, mix them down to one track. You're not done yet. Now you eq that final track to fit into the mix. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it will be worth it if your BD track really sucks. Good luck,
Rod Norman

Or you could just do all that with one track.

I like it a lot! But the question is, how do you like it? Where would you like to go from here? More attack? More sustain? More oomph?

You have to start with a perfect sounding bass drum. First move around while the drummer plays quarter notes and find the best location for the mic. Then place the mic there and create a tunnel of carpet over stands to keep other sounds from coloring the bass drum sound.

What do you mean by a tunnel of carpet? I tend to think rather literally so im just making sure.

Last edited:
Basically the tunnel is just a way to isolate it (somewhat) from the rest of the drums. More of just the kick going into the kick mic.
So yeah, your literal thinking is spot on. :D
I personally don't really care about any mic bleed. On it's own it might bug me but with a whole band playin, it's not even heard.

When I use a condenser on the bass drum, I'll use a tunnel, because otherwise it gets tooooons of cymbals and makes it impossible to compress or eq because it'll affect the cymbal sound as well.

a thick blanket will do. Maybe doubled up. You're just looking for some iso and it won't be perfect but it does help.
I saw one dude that just put a couple of chairs out front of his kick and tossed a big throw rug over them making a (sorta) tunnel.
I didn't hear any clips but I assume it worked cuz he said it was his "go to" way of miking.

Back