Tuning half a step down

Light said:
You don't need an amazing ear, you just need to train yours. I do a lot of live sound, and though I am very carful about using Earplugs in those situations which demand it, I still have some pretty noticable high end hearing loss. I can still tell when a guitar is out of tune, no problem. It is just one more thing you need to practice. And like I said, most guitar makers nuts ARE compensated.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I have no clue what you consider a trained ear but in my case I am always the first person to notice if an instrument is out of tune. Although something like the ervana (SP) nut will not make your guitar perfectly in tune it is a helping hand.

chadsxe said:
I have no clue what you consider a trained ear but in my case I am always the first person to notice if an instrument is out of tune.

All it takes is tuning your guitar by ear on a regular basis. Nothing more than that.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
WRONG.

Tuning to harmonics is extremely inaccurate, because harmonics are not tempered. You will never get any complex chords to sound in tune if you tune to harmonics.

The guitar is an equal tempered instrument, and so needs to be tuned as such. I actually tune my a little stretched, which makes it play better with piano's, but none the less, you need to tune in an equal temperament.

Whasy exactly do you mean by equal temerament?

JKestle said:
Whasy exactly do you mean by equal temerament?

Read THESE ARTICLES by Mike Doolin. It will also help you understand why the guitar will never actually play "in tune", why the very concept of "in tune" is a myth, and why Buzz Fietien is a silly little bitch (or at least a snake oil salesman).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back