Tuning Drums For Recording Vs. Tuning Drums For Live Apps?

How often to replace heads depends on many things - not the least of which is how much are they used.

Since resonant heads (bottom heads) don't get hit, they do have a longer life (but they will stretch out and do need to be changed.

If the drums are in a stable evironment (not in and out of the cold, etc) the resonant head can last for a while. As a rule, I change mine once a year (or slightly more often if I am having tone problems). However, I;ve sent resonant heads that lasted for a few years and still were functional.

Regarding the kick drum. Engineers, often prefer no head - to allow for freedon of mic'ing, and more control. However, many drummers prefer the front head in place for the tone they want. Often the hole is a compromise for mic'ing purposes.

As a drummer who also enginners sessions - I find for recording,taking the front head off provides the widest range of options for mic placement - thus for recorded sound.

<<As a drummer who also enginners sessions - I find for recording,taking the front head off provides the widest range of options for mic placement - thus for recorded sound.>>

100% agreed here. i usually put a blanket over the kick too, to cut down on bleed into the kick mic. in fact, i tend to use a couple mics on kick, just b/c i can--some close, some kinda far. :b

and IMO, a head with a big hole in it is a big "why bother". you're not really getting any benefit from it like you would a solid head, so for me it's either solid head or no head.

cheers,
wade

mrface2112and IMO said:
There is a big difference between the giant hole in the center and the small hole off to the side. The giant hole in the center makes the head somewhat useless, but the small hole gives you the best of both worlds while serving to dampen the head a bit.

Back