Tuning Down = Any Negative Effects???

different tunings also open your mind up to different ideas if you write your own music. I believe that if it works well on your guitar and your not having any problems keeping it in standard tuning have fun,every guitar is different.

I think alternate tunings make guitar very interesting (slide guitar, metal, etc.) but if you have a floating tremelo there are 6 huge problems.........

E, A, D, G, B, E

they are all out of tune

:eek:

Re: tuning down

bixlmalta said:
It shouldn't bother the guitar but I would reccomend that if you like the way that tuning sounds either keep it that way or use a second guitar for alternate tuning. The problem that I found is that guitars are very responsive to tuning adjustments and they can sort of get used to being tuned a certain way. You may find that changing back and forth between tunings will make it harder to keep your instrument in relative tune.

I change back and forth between different tunings all the time. In my personal experience it's the strings that seem to get used to a certain way of tuning (tension), not so much the guitar itself. I don't think you can do any harm to your instrument by using different tunings, as long as you stay within certain bounderies off course..

You could always stay in standard tuning and just drop your low E string to D so that at least you could still have the same range available to you. This would have less of an impact on your intonation and neck, and you'd probably have to find different inversions of some of the chords, but it'd be a quick switch to get back into standard tuning.

hey thanks for all the suggestions guys, I am trying them out as we speak. thanks again! I appreciate it! later, the dude.

Back