tuning bass drum(s)

bradcandcdrum

hey drummer dudes
just wanted to know how you tune your bass drums, i have an 24x18 gorgeous bass drum and i like tuning the batter a little tighter than finger tight, and then the reso tight, but im not completely satisfied with it. So i just wanted to know what you guys do,

i always experiment but im away from my kit right now(its in the bands trailer) and i like to get a heavy clicky wet sound, however i can tune toms and snare amazing, the bass is just never perfect

thank you! lets see how you do it,

I've got a 22" Pearl MLX, Evans EMAD (batter) and remo powerstroke (reso) heads. Tune both to finger tight (important: I always put my weight on the rim first so I get just that little bit more tension), stick a mic just into the hole (1/2 inch), sounds great to my ears!

Shame I can't tune the Toms!!

One thing to keep in mind is that "that sound" that you want to emulate may be the result of up to 3 mics and a lot of post processing plus maybe a synth mixed in too. Also, you as a drummer are hearing the kick off axis and are losing some of the snap. One other complication is the drums location in relationship to the rooms corners, really changes the sound too.

OK having said all of that, this is what I think is a conventional approach. Tune the batter head just tight enough to produce a pure tone at each lug. If your reso head has a big hole in it for a mic then it can be tuned a tight enough to pull out any wrinkles and stop any wierd buzzes. The reso head with a hole doesn't produce a lot of tone but it "closes the box" and give the mic a little more round sound to pick up. A small pillow that just barely rests against both heads will top it off. Plastic beaters and the thinnest impact pad you can find.

If you are using a "intact" reso head you probably won't be able to achieve the sound you describe. But a little higher pitch than the batter with some damping sounds good to me. Have someone else play the drum while you experiment with the pitch of the front head.

For me bass drums are difficult, have fun.
ac

i can tune toms and snare amazing, ,

A kick drum is no different. Experiment. Get to work.

I keep my batter slightly tighter than finger tight, reso about the same.

I have a midget inside the drum slapping two Chuck Taylors together for that slap sound.

A kick drum is no different. Experiment. Get to work.

I keep my batter slightly tighter than finger tight, reso about the same.

I have a midget inside the drum slapping two Chuck Taylors together for that slap sound.

You do have the reso head vented so he can breathe right?

I mean, you don't want to be cruel.

Oh yeah, Oh Yeah,,,

Well I have two midgets in my kick drum. And they play hop scotch with nike airs while wearing hard hats. The sound is horrible, but I have fun watching them!!

Back