Tuning a room

Cluric

I've done a lot of research into the different diffusers, absorbers and the lot. I have all the formulae to build and tune these to meet the freqencies to absorb/diffuse.

Now, I need to know what freqencies I need to tune for my room. I've done the Room Mode calculations by hand and by calculation generators. and they give me all these values. I've also done the Sabine calculations. So out of all these numbers I've still have no clue what factors I need to absorb/diffuse.

When I do something, I want to do it right, I'm not just going to throw up a bunch of 703 and auralex and think a dead room is harmonically neutral.

So please help point me in the right direction.

~j

First thing you need to do is figure out where the room is bare based on just size, construction (single or double drywall), floor type (carpet, tile, wood - over concrete or over wood), ceiling type, furniture, doors, windows, curtains, people, and most importantly what you want to use it for (tracking, mixing, both).

Based on those things, there are formulas available that will get you to what the recommended decay times should be in the room when you're dong. Start with reflection control - that's always required if you're mixing. That will change things somewhat. Be willing to change this later if needed - say between 1" and 2". Since I don't know the size of your room, can't say if you'd likely be better off starting with 1" or 2".

Then plan on bass control. What kind, how much whether they need to be broadband totally or just broadband bass is part of the trial and error to balance with the rest of the room. Again, not knowing how the room will be used or how big it is, hard to make a recommended starting point.

Third, you'll want to deal with the front wall. This is a bit trickier depending on monitor mounting and distance as not only does it change reflection control but can also be used to tune for SBIR effects based on speaker/wall proximity.

Lastly, when you get done balancing all that out, if you're not in the right range, then you need to distribute some additional absorbtion (of the right broadness based on what's still needed) in other parts of the room. If you need lower mid/bass control but can't tolerate much more HF absorbtion, consider some FRK/FSK faced treatments in the rear on the side walls.

That should get you started.

Good luck.

Bryan

much appreciated.

About the info on the room, I will be using it for mixing and mastering. I'm about to move, so I've been practicing the formulae on the room im currently in, which visually, is about the same size(for rough design). 8wx10lx8h with one window appox 3x3, standard drywall construction (existing structure) with carpetted floors. I don't care about sound proofing, I just want to get the best mix of absorbsion and diffusion. I don't want it to sound dead.

So far I have decided on the following;

two Modular WB Slot resonators at 8 deg(for a total of 16deg) on my parallel long walls

for the back wall, I'm building one set of shroeder diffusors for my mid BW deflection and another set for high BW deflection. mixed with some absorbsion panels and traps.

Front wall not sure yet as I'm not sure of the monitors spacing from the wall, but prolly a 2d diffusor and absorbors.

I just want to get all the dynamics in place and tune each piece as I build, then I can go in and spot treat as needed.

i've been reading in here that absorbing is better than diffusing in small rooms. I may be wrong, but I'd check on that if I were you. As for monitor placement from the wall...I really am clueless on how far the monitors should be from the wall, any advice??

I've seen control rooms about the same size (if not smaller), and the whole front and rear(with some absorbsion of course) were diffused. I think it's a matter of preference on how live you want the room to feel as well. I've been in untreated rooms and dead rooms and I really want to find a sonically neutral room

Cluric said:
8wx10lx8h with one window appox 3x3, standard drywall construction (existing structure) with carpetted floors. I don't care about sound proofing, I just want to get the best mix of absorbsion and diffusion. I don't want it to sound dead.

Cluric,

I can understand that (not wanting a dead room) - but don't believe you're approaching this wisely -

I would not recommend diffusion in a room that small - that is a very VERY small space - and you'll be quite close to the diffusors - which can create distortions that you won't want to deal with.

Also - you really should test the room (calculations of modal problems are great for estimating treatment costs - but don't always reflect reality - there is nothing like actually testing to identify your issues) With 2 identical dimensions and a room that small you are going to need all the help you can get with low frequencies - i.e. - bass trapping.

Sincerely,

Rod

Auralex will run you're dimensions through their computer for free. http://auralex.com/pcf/ go check that out. basicly you draw you're room and fax it to them and they will send you what they think you should do with it. Never know.... could be an excellent starting point. From that point you can get some commercial mixes that you know well and listen to them in the room and on other sources to compare how they transfer.

Back