Tuners for a Les Paul

steveaustin

Just received my new Les Paul SL & love it but the vintage tuners suk. Takes a whole turn to make a half turn of any other tuner & they seem to slip. Had a LP Classic that did the same thing.

What's a good direct replacement w/ out little or no modification, like drilling? I may want to put the old ones back on someday.

Also, just picked up a 1996 LP Standard for $1000. A few scratches but overall great looking & plays beautifully. I feel like it's a sweet deal. It also has the vintage tuners & they suk.

Well I live in the UK so I can't tell you where to buy from but Schaller have a nice range and they are good quality. I wouldn't think you would have to do any drilling for replacing the machine heads (though it does depend on your choice).

One other thing I will mention is the need to make the headstock as heavy as possible (within reason of course). It is a debatable issue but I am convinced (from past experience) that a heavy headstock produces a much greater level of sustain; especially suitable for Les Paul's.

Hey steveaustin, did you win the lotto or something?

Two "new" LP's. Any reason why you bought two LP's as opposed to, say, a LP and a new Strat/mixer/amp/motorcycle?

Hey psmith66, leave off; that's what he's buying tomorrow.

I wouldn't even be satisfied with 2 LP's, I want at least 5.

Let's do the math: New Les Paul SL $450, Used 1996 LP Standard $1040. That's $1490 for to great LPs as opposed to just 1 new Standard for over $2000. There isn't a guitar player here that wouldn't turn that down.

Also have a Telecaster on the way, but that's an anniversary gift.

And Krystof, I've seen the Fat Finger by Groove Tubes that fits on the headstock claiming ti give more sustain but it looks tacky.

Back