Tubes, Tubes, Tubes, Tubes....

"Overrated" is perhaps a touch strong, but the difference between one tube and another of the same type isn't exactly night-and-day.

For example, I can feel and hear a change in response when I dropped a tung-sol into V1 of my rectoverb, and a set of JJs from Eurotubes definitely made my old Nomad a sweeter sounding amp.

But, a new set of tubes isn't going to turn a Valve-King into a Rectifier, either.

Whoever described it as like a "finishing polish" said it best. :)

I like to mess with swapping tubes! You guys need to quit raining on my picnic!

But seriously, I hear some very significant differences with the V1 position and power tubes. Not so much any other positions. As a matter of fact I tend to not mess with any preamp tubes other than V1 and maybe the inverter.

I agree with above. When you change tubes, the amp is still going to sound like itself (not change drastically), but you will hear differences in tonal ranges between different tubes. Different power tubes will probably make the biggest difference....but make sure your amp is biased for the type you are using. (6L6, EL34, KT66, etc)

Crank your clean gain channel until it distorts the power tubes (turn down the master channel if need be) That's where the sweetest/best tones are found... when you distort the power tubes.

I agree with above. When you change tubes, the amp is still going to sound like itself (not change drastically), but you will hear differences in tonal ranges between different tubes. Different power tubes will probably make the biggest difference....but make sure your amp is biased for the type you are using. (6L6, EL34, KT66, etc)

Crank your clean gain channel until it distorts the power tubes (turn down the master channel if need be) That's where the sweetest/best tones are found... when you distort the power tubes.
but if you turn down the master, you won't be driving the power tubes into distortion any more or at least not as much.
A master is before the power section except for the very few amps with a built in power soak.

but if you turn down the master, you won't be driving the power tubes into distortion any more or at least not as much.
A master is before the power section except for the very few amps with a built in power soak.

You are correct about the power tube distortion. Some amps have a post phase inverter master. The sound of driving the hell out of the phase inverter is most likely what people believe to be power tube distortion. Getting an EL34 or 6L6 to distort without getting arrested is not an easy task. :D

Right on, I meant turning master down with like a power brake or something like that. Sorry should of stated that.

Power tube distortion FTW! :)

Hey OP...

Use the same type of replacement tubes for the VK I have the 50 watt combo version and the stock tubes are the best choice for the amp otherwise Peavey would have equipped the amp with different tubes to begin with.
just because it is an inexpensive amp does not mean it is an inferior amp built with cheap sub par components
IMO one of the best tube amps Peavey ever built.

Use the same type of replacement tubes for the VK I have the 50 watt combo version and the stock tubes are the best choice for the amp otherwise Peavey would have equipped the amp with different tubes to begin with.
Not necessarily. Materials cost is a big factor in mass producing amps, and the tubes that any manufacturer installs in their amps are likely the ones that could be bought at the best price point in bulk that work reasonably well.
just because it is an inexpensive amp does not mean it is an inferior amp built with cheap sub par components.
That's true as far as it goes, but that doesn't mean that there can't possibly be a better tube choice than what was installed by Peavey.

Back