Tube "Warmth" on spare arrangements???

sunpowder

Here is the scenario:

Recording intimate folk/pop/alt.country type stuff at home with BR-8. [read: wilco, del amitri, elliott smith, david gray type stuff]
Mostly just layered acoustics [i have nice ones] and vocals [they can be a bit suspect].

I currently use an Art MP, RNC and Equitek E-100. A modest set up, I know.

Wanted to fatten up the sound as well as get that warm, lush, immediate presence of studio albums. I hear talk of tube "warmth" [which is why i bought the ART, but it seems pretty noisy to my ears]

Question to the more advanced:
Should I plunk down some money on a tube mic [Rode NTK, SP TB-1, Marshall V77] OR save up for a better Mic Preamp??

Where is money better spent for this newbie?? And which, if either will get my sound where i want it??

Simply: Mic or Pre??

sunpowder said:
Question to the more advanced:
Should I plunk down some money on a tube mic [Rode NTK, SP TB-1, Marshall V77] OR save up for a better Mic Preamp??Simply: Mic or Pre??

I would say get a better mic AND preamp. Wether or not you tubes with that is up to you.

the sooner you learn how incredibly hard and expensive it is to get that "warm, lush immediate presence of studio albums", the sooner youll learn to make do with what you have.....

for giggles, how much are you willing to spend?.....

Back