Tube replacing

Well, I called the place that modded and went through the head. They said it sounds like a power tube went. I found that one of the mains fuses is blown, which explains why it suddenly lost sound all together.

I am going to take it to them and have them replace the power tubes and re-bias the head.

I have to say, after having it back for a few months and already having problems I was a little peeved. However, I have read that tubes are only made in Russia and China now and they are not really all that dependable. The power tubes in my head are JJ's Kt-77's.

I had the "Jose" mod done on the amp, it sounded awesome, when it worked....

I won't say the name of the place here as they are well known and their customer service has been exceptional. Could have just been a crappy tube giving up the ghost a bit early, like I said, tubes today don't last like they use to and they are not always top quality.

Thanks everyone!

Hahaha, I hadn't heard that in years. :D :D

Yeah, you've got to be careful with that percussive maintenance on an amplifier. You can hit it so hard that you open a leak and let all the smoke out, then it's got to go to the shop to have more put in.

"All I've said here is that not rebiasing a tube amop won't damage it and there's no way you can show that it will. "

tube life is at the very least shortened.... under biasing tends to make it sound edgy and rough and may cause them to thermal... i've seen it happen and for thankfully so becuase thats how I made MY money for quite a while.... i was warrantee authorized for boogie/fender/marshall/crate/ampeg/yamaha/korg/roland/kurzweil/soundcraft/allen and heath/crown/qsc/jbl harmon/and others....

"Just like when you jumped into that piano thread .... googled a few things and decided you knew more about it than I, with 30 years of dealing with them daily do. You were completely full of shit about every single thing you said about pianos."

never said i knew everything about pianos but i think my sources are pretty good and i never use google in discussions... if i cant come up with a thought on my own i read others opinions and draw from there... incedently my source for the info on pianos was the tech at the university i attended where i was a theory/comp major and my pricipal instrument for most of that time (and still is) piano... one of my favorite things to do when not practising was hang out with the piano tech and pick his brain... he and his brother were both well known tuners.. the brother tuned for the st louis symphony... so i suspect they knew a little....

"Just like the thread when I said that there's no reason that leaving an amp on overnight by itself should damage it and you half read what I said ..... said i was talking bullshit and then never made any effort to explain yourself or respond to any of my questions which I asked very politely and genuinely wanted to know why you thought what you did."

if you go back and reread that thread i wanted to defuse the thing and adressed myself to the other partcipants and the reasons you sought came up later... look at the part where we discussed the difference in the current draw with HT applied...

"Fact is ..... I know more about pianos than you'll ever know "

perhaps in terms oftuning and such....

"and, judging by the amatuerish clearly goggled answers you give to things, I know at least as much about working with tube amps."

amatuerish and googled is laughable.... you didn't bother to check that link to your amp did you.... you see i was not trying to start a pissing contest.... i just thought maybe you'ld understand why boogie told you not to worry about the bias... and i was trying to give you a chance to back away from this shit but NO..... you see that amp IS CATHODE BIASED... or self biased as you incorrectly called it but HEY your the PRO!!!

"I've owned and played thru more of them than you're likely to ever see "

i figure ive worked on conservatively in excess of 300... so you must have quite a collection....

"and the fact that you give no regard whatsoever to my long experience with these things makes me wish so fucking hard that I'd run into you in person."

believe me you dont want this.... i'm the kid your mom wouldn't let you play with....

You're a talentless troll and you can suck my cock.

oooohhhh.... and you think that passes for intellect right????
what a fuckin MORON.... you should not be allowed to participate in the gene pool... FOOL !!!!

just in case you want to confuse yourself with the facts here's the output section of that blue angel....

http://www.tubefreak.com/bluangpw.gif

IMHO.... you do a great disservice to those that are seeking answers and or help when you bloviate half trueths and misunderstoods.... but hey that's me...

And I think you're a prick sucking on a shaft when you continue to take issue with things I say and insult me with little reason to whenever I simply make a comment based on years of fooling with these things.
All I've said here is that not rebiasing a tube amop won't damage it and there's no way you can show that it will.
Just like when you jumped into that piano thread .... googled a few things and decided you knew more about it than I, with 30 years of dealing with them daily do. You were completely full of shit about every single thing you said about pianos.
Just like the thread when I said that there's no reason that leaving an amp on overnight by itself should damage it and you half read what I said ..... said i was talking bullshit and then never made any effort to explain yourself or respond to any of my questions which I asked very politely and genuinely wanted to know why you thought what you did.
Fact is ..... I know more about pianos than you'll ever know and, judging by the amatuerish clearly goggled answers you give to things, I know at least as much about working with tube amps. I've owned and played thru more of them than you're likely to ever see and the fact that you give no regard whatsoever to my long experience with these things makes me wish so fucking hard that I'd run into you in person.
You're a talentless troll and you can suck my cock.

I've found that if you take your fist and hammer the top of the amp as hard as you can...It either fixes the problem or the amp goes completely out.

(if it goes all the way out you can sometimes hammer it some more and get it to come back on).
:D

oooohhhh.... and you think that passes for intellect right????
what a fuckin MORON.... you should not be allowed to participate in the gene pool... FOOL !!!!

Jheezhus!

Get a room you dirty whores!

:D

I won't say the name of the place here as they are well known and their customer service has been exceptional. Could have just been a crappy tube giving up the ghost a bit early, like I said, tubes today don't last like they use to and they are not always top quality.

Thanks everyone!

The occasional bummer tube has always been a fact of life.

although I have him on ignore (1st time ever I've done that) I couldn't help but notice the quotes.
Thing is Demented ... for whatever reason you went after me first. In the 'leaving amp on' thread', you attacked me personally and directly despite the fact that 3 other people in the thread said the exact same thing as I did but you said nothing at all about them.
In the piano thread, despite the fact that I have been one of the busiest piano techs in probably the nation, you decided that I must be full of shit and attacked me there.
And now, when all I did was comment on what I've experienced in 40 years of working with the things, you've attacked me again. Just because I don't bother to lookup a circuit design to check to see if an amp has a pot for setting bias when my manual clearly says they don't want you to fool with the bias means nothing. I read the manual and was repeating what it said.

Also, I have not one single time said not to bias, I specifically said that it's best to do so. I just said that it's not absolutely necessary and won't damage your amp and that's correct. And my comments about what I do myself were just relating what my experience has been but I again specifically said that was just me because of my extremely busy gigging schedule. Believe it or not, some people are interested in what players have experienced in the field. It is different than a test bench sometimes.
PLUS .... once again the only person you attacked was me when several others made the same comment.

Now ...... I don't known why you've decided to go after me in these threads, I'm not aware of having said anything bad about you in the past and am not aware of saying or doing anything to offend you and if I did, I would have been very happy to discuss it and make amends if I inadvertently said something that pissed you off.
And the first couple of threads you attacked me in, I was very mild and in one of them you even commented on how I didn't respond in kind to you so you couldn't be pissed off at me.
But I've had enough and I'm gonna respond to you exactly like you come at me.

I've played something like 11,000 paying gigs and that alone, gives me an enormous amount of practical hands-on experience and knowledge of what breaks amps ..... what doesn't seem to make as much difference as some people think .... and specific instances where I've done things that many of you have only read about including yourself. You probably haven't had a Bassman 400 fall 10 feet from a stage and keep working, I have ..... and every other catastrophe that people obsess over has happened to me also simply because of the sheer number of gigs I do.
I don't mind if you disagree but to personally attack me every time isn't ok first off ...... and my experience with music is direct and up close as I still play 5 to 7 gigs every week and I can guarantee you that I'm one of the very best musicians you'll ever have contact with. That's why when I moved to Florida, not knowing a single person here, within 3 weeks I was playing at least 5 gigs a week and had every band in the area tossing their cards at me for gigs.
That doesn't mean I know everything and countless threads on this site attest to my willingness to be corrected or to not mind if someone disagrees with me ..... but I do mind personal attacks and I hate folks that think that everything they say is right and then attack anyone that disagrees. And for some reason, you've decided to attack me in particular.
Now, I have you on ignore because I don't come here for any reason other than to escape life for a bit and share some of what I've experienced in a lifetime of playing professionally.
If you want to keep attacking me for no good reason that I can see .... I'll leave it that way.
If you don't like the idea of having conflict with someone on the board, then PM me and we'll talk about things. I don't like this situation at all.
But I'm done with your unreasonable and unprovoked attacks on me and I'm gonna respond to you the same way you talk to me. If you don't like it, then you should consider why I don't like it when you do it.

although I have him on ignore (1st time ever I've done that) I couldn't help but notice the quotes.
Thing is Demented ... for whatever reason you went after me first. In the 'leaving amp on' thread', you attacked me personally and directly despite the fact that 3 other people in the thread said the exact same thing as I did but you said nothing at all about them.
In the piano thread, despite the fact that I have been one of the busiest piano techs in probably the nation, you decided that I must be full of shit and attacked me there.
And now, when all I did was comment on what I've experienced in 40 years of working with the things, you've attacked me again. Just because I don't bother to lookup a circuit design to check to see if an amp has a pot for setting bias when my manual clearly says they don't want you to fool with the bias means nothing. I read the manual and was repeating what it said.

Also, I have not one single time said not to bias, I specifically said that it's best to do so. I just said that it's not absolutely necessary and won't damage your amp and that's correct. And my comments about what I do myself were just relating what my experience has been but I again specifically said that was just me because of my extremely busy gigging schedule. Believe it or not, some people are interested in what players have experienced in the field. It is different than a test bench sometimes.
PLUS .... once again the only person you attacked was me when several others made the same comment.

Now ...... I don't known why you've decided to go after me in these threads, I'm not aware of having said anything bad about you in the past and am not aware of saying or doing anything to offend you and if I did, I would have been very happy to discuss it and make amends if I inadvertently said something that pissed you off.
And the first couple of threads you attacked me in, I was very mild and in one of them you even commented on how I didn't respond in kind to you so you couldn't be pissed off at me.
But I've had enough and I'm gonna respond to you exactly like you come at me.

I've played something like 11,000 paying gigs and that alone, gives me an enormous amount of practical hands-on experience and knowledge of what breaks amps ..... what doesn't seem to make as much difference as some people think .... and specific instances where I've done things that many of you have only read about including yourself. You probably haven't had a Bassman 400 fall 10 feet from a stage and keep working, I have ..... and every other catastrophe that people obsess over has happened to me also simply because of the sheer number of gigs I do.
I don't mind if you disagree but to personally attack me every time isn't ok first off ...... and my experience with music is direct and up close as I still play 5 to 7 gigs every week and I can guarantee you that I'm one of the very best musicians you'll ever have contact with. That's why when I moved to Florida, not knowing a single person here, within 3 weeks I was playing at least 5 gigs a week and had every band in the area tossing their cards at me for gigs.
That doesn't mean I know everything and countless threads on this site attest to my willingness to be corrected or to not mind if someone disagrees with me ..... but I do mind personal attacks and I hate folks that think that everything they say is right and then attack anyone that disagrees. And for some reason, you've decided to attack me in particular.
Now, I have you on ignore because I don't come here for any reason other than to escape life for a bit and share some of what I've experienced in a lifetime of playing professionally.
If you want to keep attacking me for no good reason that I can see .... I'll leave it that way.
If you don't like the idea of having conflict with someone on the board, then PM me and we'll talk about things. I don't like this situation at all.
But I'm done with your unreasonable and unprovoked attacks on me and I'm gonna respond to you the same way you talk to me. If you don't like it, then you should consider why I don't like it when you do it.

I agree with you....not rebiasing an amp after installing tubes will not damage it.

Why?
Last night a spammer covered the first page of the guitar forum with ads for lists of equipment. Pissed me off so I bumped a bunch of threads to move the spam to p2. The spam's now been deleted by Dragon.

Last night a spammer covered the first page of the guitar forum with ads for lists of equipment. Pissed me off so I bumped a bunch of threads to move the spam to p2. The spam's now been deleted by Dragon.

Ah. Good.

Hell yeah. You've got my second dream amp set up almost exactly how I'd want it. I envy you.

My first choice is a vintage AC30 (circa early '60s with 12AX7s and...Ah, EL84s.)

Have you done any recording with it since it came back?

Last edited:
Hell yeah. You've got my second dream amp set up almost exactly how I'd want it. I envy you.

My first choice is a vintage AC30 (circa early '60s with 12AX7s and...Ah, EL84s.)

Have you done any recording with it since it came back?

I run the amp through a Marshall vintage 30 4x12. I am sketching out some new songs at the moment, but all I can say is the JCM 800 with the "Jose" Mod is spot on for metal guitar.

I use a single SM57 and Great River Preamp, it's fantastic!

Well, I called the place that modded and went through the head. They said it sounds like a power tube went. I found that one of the mains fuses is blown, which explains why it suddenly lost sound all together.

I am going to take it to them and have them replace the power tubes and re-bias the head.

I have to say, after having it back for a few months and already having problems I was a little peeved. However, I have read that tubes are only made in Russia and China now and they are not really all that dependable. The power tubes in my head are JJ's Kt-77's.

I had the "Jose" mod done on the amp, it sounded awesome, when it worked....

Thanks everyone!

I want to hear some recordings with that mod when you get a chance..What is a "Jose" mod anyways..

Back