tube pre amp

anselm

I am looking for a guitar preamp. I like the marshall el34 100/100, but it is way overpriced. I am wondering what the alternatives are. Any suggestions?

thanks EDIT: sorry about this post. I thought I stopped it before it went through. I meant to type "power amp." I have a pre amp already.

Last edited:
mix up

the 100/100 is a power amp, not a pre amp. the only marshall preamp is the jmp-1. the preamp shapes your sound, the poweramp makes it loud. which do you need?

preamps are available from ada, marshall, and boogie, among many others. marshall and boogie also make poweramps that have good reps.

Adam

Not so fast young blood. The power tube type (EL34, EL84, 6V6, etc) and configuration (push-pull, single ended, ultra linear, etc) not to mention tube biasing very much has an effect on the sound too.

anselm said:
I am looking for a guitar preamp. I like the marshall el34 100/100, but it is way overpriced. I am wondering what the alternatives are. Any suggestions?

thanks
if a pre amp is what you are really looking for i have always loved the ADA MP1 or MP2

Track Rat said:
Not so fast young blood. The power tube type (EL34, EL84, 6V6, etc) and configuration (push-pull, single ended, ultra linear, etc) not to mention tube biasing very much has an effect on the sound too.

True indeed. I was speaking in more general terms to try and explain the definition of each, because i think the original poster was a little confused. The poweramp definitely affects tone.

Adam

Back