tube mikes for vocals-suggestions????

les666paul

hey guys
i want to get a mic for female vocals/acoustic guitar/percussion/all around good

right now i have an MK319(a russian one):cool:
and i am looking for an addition that isnt so dark,, something a little more natural
i was thinking about a tube mic, so far a groove tubes gt67, or Rode NTK
i want to spend around 400-500 dollars at most but i want something with a sweet sound
any thing will probably help

I dont own one, but for what its worth I cant stop reading pleasant things people have to say about the MXL v69. If I understand correctly, it leans more towards the brighter end of the spectrum, and of course the included warmth of the tube.

In A recent poll here, and I agree with it %100, more than a hundered peoples said the best Rode for Vocals by far was the NTK. I LOVE MINE. you won't be sorry for adding one to what you've got.

As for the others and the ones suggested, you won't go wrong with any of them...they'll all do you well. However, I can say from my experience that the NTK is a great vocal tube mic!

Jacob

NTK works for me, and I think it is an excellent contrast to MK319, which I also own and use. NTK can be very flattering to a cheap acoustic. All around useful mic.-Richie

A tube mic is narrowing your search quite a bit, some tube mics are as clean as solid state stuff and doesn't do much to add to the character. You should keep your mind open to solid state stuff as well and use your ears, you may find a tube mic in that price range might lose out!

War

Warhead gave you some great advice IMHO. You may want to check out the ADK Hamburg and Vienna with perhaps the Vienna being the better choice for what you're seeking. You can buy both for about what you are wanting to spend and sell the one you decide is the least desirable or just keep them both. You may also want to check out a Shure KSM44 which is at the top of your price range especially if you find a pre owned one. Good luck!

Don't forget about the Rode K2. It's pretty much a multi-pattern NTK, but everyone that I've talked to that has used it says it sounds better than the NTK. I have the NTK myself, and am very happy with it.

Cheers,
Zach

how bout an AT4050

i went to a recording studio
www.triadstudios.com and lookated at the mic room and talked to the engineer that i know. he said to stay away from rode's
AT's AKG's and Sennheisers is what he recomended for my price range

les666paul said:
how bout an AT4050

www.triadstudios.com and lookated at the mic room and talked to the engineer that i know. he said to stay away from rode's
Mics are so confusing. If this engineer is so clued up why not just ask him what to get?

Use you ears. :)

les666paul said:
how bout an AT4050

Then, by all means, stay away from everything you've heard here and go buy an AT 4050 (actually a great mic) but don't ask for sdvice and then contradict it!

My, people are so touchy. I'm sorry mics are so confusing. You did something intelligent (ask the engineering people you know), and people act like you betrayed them by not taking their advice at face value. All you did was ask a mic doctor for another opinion. Now your friend has suggested AT, AKG, and Sennheiser. All of them make some very good mics. So does Rode, in my opinion. You asked about tube mics. The most likely suggestions for affordable tube mics would be Rode, AT, Groove Tubes, Studio Projects, and AKG Solidtube. Sennheiser doesn't build a cheap tube mic that I am aware of. For the record, I think Solidtube is an underated mic, but it is dark, a little like the Oktava. It turns out that I don't particularly agree with your friend the engineer, but his opinion is as valid as mine, maybe more.

In the greater scheme of things, it doesn't matter that much. You acquire mics over time, and sometimes they're not exactly what you thought they would be, and you find they are useful for recording things you hadn't anticipated. Occasionally you buy a mic and don't find it useful. Then you sell it and move on. As long as you buy mics that somebody likes, you'll probably be able to sell it if you don't like it. Moral- Don't buy mics that almost nobody likes- they're hard to sell if you don't like them. I feel your pain- mics on a budget are an eternal pain in the ass.-Richie

My experience has been that the people who stay away from Rode are the people who dont know that Rode pulled all of their manufacturing out of china and brought it back home to Australia so they could regain quality control. The newer Rodes made in Australia are excellent mics.

But, I will admit that I share your engineer friend's preference for American and German made mics.

les666paul said:
so what about the AT 4050
I am a big fan of Audio Technica. I have found the quality of construction and the sound produced to be very first-class. I have not used the 4050 but I own atm33a's, at3035's and at4060's which are all keepers. ;)

Back