Tube mic or FET mic as all-around ?

gilwe

I was just wondering if having a tube mic as an all-around mic is a good idea. What do you think ?

...boy, nobody can call you "impulsive"...you are really being cautious before purchasing those mics...keep in mind that reselling any mic you're not pleased with is a fairly simple process, especially when you're get "inside" pricing to begin with (as you've stated in your other postings)...
...but to answer your question, the only real downside to using a tube mic as your "all-around" mic is the warm-up time you'll need to allow for before being able to record...there are times when you're anxious to get started and the 30 minute warm-up will be really annoying...you definately want to have a solid-state/FET mic available for those moments of sudden inspiration...
...I continue to stand by my original recommendations to you...the Z5600A and the 2200A will give you all the flexibility you'll probably need (you can add a pair of SDC down the road for a very small additional investment)...

Also keep in mind that most of the most sought after mics are not tube mics (U87, 414, etc...) The whole thing about tube mics being 'warmer' is a bunch of crap. Well designed and well made mics are 'warmer' than cheap, crappy mics in spite of being tube or FET.

An Audio Technica 4033 is a good all around mic that isn't too expensive.

I wouldn't call it "crap" - there is much of the *warm* tube sound in tube mics. That doesn't always say they sound better.

btw, kidvybes, this is not money I talk about here - it's deciding of the best combination of mics to be used. I'm sure can have a few and then decide which one I'd like to keep. As on my other posts, I'd like to have the possibilty to record stereo drum , which means I need two identical mics in that setup. Among all FETs I listened to, the Z3300a sounds the best, and many times much more balanced than the Z5600a and ICIS (on acoustic guitars for example), so I thought I might wany to get a pair of Z3300a's, and MAY add a Z5600a after all.

What do you think about that combination ?

gilwe said:
...so I thought I might wany to get a pair of Z3300a's, and MAY add a Z5600a after all.

What do you think about that combination ?

...the 3300A is basically the 2200A with multi-patterns...overkill in my estimation...for less than the price of one 3300A you could get a very capable matched set of small diaphragm condensers...that would give you a tube multi-pattern, fet multi-pattern and 2 SDC microphones (best for stereo miking) for the a good price (as Big Kenny said, matched isn't necessary, but for the price, what'the hell)...

http://www.music123.com/MXL-MXL-603-Pair-i144710.music?source=froogle

I know there's no certain need for a matched pair,
bit still will using a Z3300a for one channel and Z5600a for the second as overhead mics be good idea ?.... I tend to think it won't.

gilwe said:
I wouldn't call it "crap" - there is much of the *warm* tube sound in tube mics. That doesn't always say they sound better.
A cheap tube mic will not necessarily sound any warmer than a cheap FET mic. A lot of people confuse something that is not overly bright as being 'warm'. In cheap tube mics, that 'warm' sound is usually smeared mids and a lack of headroom. Like I said, most of the most sought after, warm sounding mics are not tube mics. Same thing goes for preamps. Neve, api, great river, ssl, are all solid state preamps. The idea behind a well executed tube design is for it to be transparent, not sound all tooby.

Just to be clear, the answer to the question is FET. A good FET design is much cheaper to implement, so with a buget of $600, you will get a good FET mic and a half ass tube mic. Once you get into the $1200 range, things start to even out.

I see what you mean, yah that's interesting. I could really hear the dip in midrange on all the SE tube mic recordings presented on the link I posted a few days ago. That's why I thought of having the Z3300a as the all-around mic after all, and not the Z5600a. Acoustic guitars and cymbals and voclas just sounded more well balanced on that one than on the tube ones, although the tube Z5600a has shown some more details maybe.

Vybes- what I mean is that saying I already get a good sounding FET like the Z3300a, I see no point having another macthed pair; as the SE3 for example (and the 2200 btw) just do not sound as good as the Z3300a, so better idea it just to have another 3300; price would not be too much for those (one 3300 will cost me the same as the macthed SE3 pair). Otherwise you think I need a SDC in that setup (the 3300/5600 are LDC's, the 2200 is a SDC btw).
In that case having the 3300, 5600 and a pair of SE3's would be a nice pick !

About the Gemini, I think it would sound just amazing on some certain sources (like vocals and pianos) but I;m not sure it will sound correct with others so I may let it go for now.

There are very few mics that sound great on everything. All the ones that do, don't have a lot of character of their own. If something has to be good on everything, it should be as transparent as possible.

I have a lot of really nice mics, but I use the AT 4033 for a lot of different things. Vocals, bass (electric and standup) drum overheads, acoustic guitar, room mic for horns, etc... I have really gotten my moneys worth out of this mic.

Back