Tube Mic on the Cheap - MXL V69

was this mini-review useful?

• thanks for taking the time, dude.

Votes: 64 91.4%
  • you've just wasted my time, dude.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • you suck, don't post about mics again.

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters

jitteringjim

Insert Custom Title Here
Hi guys, I just received my Marshall MXL V69G - I ordered it to check it out, thought I'd return it if it didn't work out for me. It's a fixed cardioid pattern, no roll-off or pass switches - no frills tube mic.
This is NOT a review with a lot of technical shit.

First impressions:

With a street price of $299, I had no real expectations.
When I removed the packaging, I found a "flight style" case. Not bad. Not a heavy duty flight case, but much more than I had expected.
Upon opening the case; I found the mic in a zippered pouch, an elastic spider shockmount, windscreen, power supply, seven pin cable, AND a standard mic cable - all in fitted compartments in the case.

My first thought was "wow, what a lot of stuff for $299 - what's the catch?" I was a bit worried.

Upon inspecting the individual components, I found the windscreen to be a bit cheap. The shockmount swivel seemed a bit small, and I wondered if it would be sturdy enough. It locked down tight enough though, and seems to be up to the task for the moment. (The shockmount also sported a "Made in China" sticker. I felt a little guilty for not buying American.)

I removed the power supply & checked that the voltage settings were correct. I inspected the cabling - "professional audio cable" (and something in Chinese.)

I removed the mic from the zippered pouch & found it enclosed in plastic. The mic was in a black finish with a gold grille. "MXL V69" was stamped into the housing along with MOGAMI. Nice wiring, I understand. Cool. I had expected it to be a little heavier than it was, and I noticed that if I squeezed the housing, I could feel the bottom cap give a little. Hmmmm.....

Peeking through the grille (I'm not going to take it apart yet) I could see the same brass assembly around the diaphram that Harvey commented on in the MXL 67 / SP C-1 thread. Nice, the appearance of solid construction.

OK, on to the important stuff... how does it sound?
I set up the V69 (the shockmount had no problem staying in place) and my NT-1. I connected them to the preamps on my Fostex mixer & had a male vocalist sing a few bars into each as I listened. Quite simply, the V69 blew the NT-1 away. I can only use the standard "warm, round, larger than life" expressions as I don't know shit about mics, but the NT-1 sounded thin and siblant by comparison. No surprise there really, just that the difference was so obvious.

My comments: I took the V69 seriously, as the MXL line ('cept the 2001,) seems to be well respected by the homerec establishment. I'm pleased with what $299 can buy - however, I'd like to see how the V69 stacks up to the RODE NTK, or even the MXL V77.

Anyone else???

jitteringjim said:
My comments: ...however, I'd like to see how the V69 stacks up to the RODE NTK, or even the MXL V77.

Both Han and Harvey have already posted their opinions of the MXL V69 and the V77 several times. A search should turn up several threads. I think Harvey said the V69 sounded like a V67 on steroids (in a good way).

The V69 had way too much coloration for my taste-which was a surprise.
Most likely would greatly prefer the V77 in comparison.

The only sub-$500 LDC, tried so far, that has caused any significant gearlust is the SP T3. Sounded...expensive.

The NTK was very sizzly up top, due to already having a sizzly top end to my voice to begin with. This tendency is favored for singing "lead" (melody) in a a capella vocal quartet, but hell on bright toned condensers. Ditto the original incarnation of the Rode NT-1, a C1, or something like the AKG C3000B.
("hell" meaning that professional level AE skills would have to counter things)

Chris

Harvey Gerst said:
We had the V12 prototype in here briefly, and I was pretty impressed with the sound of it.

That's cool. Are they tube mics? I just assumed they were because I saw it brought up in some thread where people were talking a lot about the V69 and V77.

Those V6 / V12 mics are actually not tube mics, but they've been engineered to give a very similar sound. Just listening at AES and comparing to the V69 it did have a tube like sound to them.

We shall see, still waiting to check them out fo' real...

War

Ah, nifty. Are these going to be like $300 range mics, or what? Sorry I keep asking so many questions about them. This is interesting hehe. Is there a place someone can point me where you can read about them?

Probably much cheaper than that would be my guess. The V69M is $299 so I would expect them to come in lower.

War

Warhead said:
Probably much cheaper than that would be my guess. The V69M is $299 so I would expect them to come in lower.

War
It depends; if they got the sound by using a really good output transformer, that could raise the cost to a similar level.

I don't think Marshall Electronics would know a good output transformer if it bit 'em in the aZZ. :D

. . . Probably trew a coupla' JFETs in there. I know nothing about this stuff, but I just thought I'd throw that term out there (JFET) so I could look cool.

From a marketing perspective, it seems as though Marshall would price them lower (and place them lower in the line) than their tube mic but that's just my opinion.

War

Speaking of cheap tube mics from MXL, the MXL web site litst a tube mic in their 900 series line supposedly available only from Musician's Friend, but the Musician's Friend site does not list it!

The v69 has been a favorite as long as I've posted here (addmittedly not all that long), but there's also been a lot of talk about the GT44 recently, especially since the price drop. So now that these two tube mics are in the same price range, which one would you be more likely to buy/recomend. I realize that the GT44 is a medium-diaphram and the v69 is a large-diaphram, which lends them better to different things, but if you were looking for your one all-around good tube mic, which would be your pick. Oh and if I'm leaving out some other viable option in this price range let me know (I'd love a T3, but it costs quite a bit more).

P.S. If this consitutes hi-jacking the thread I sincerely appologize and you can ignore me

Peter

Warhead said:
Those V6 / V12 mics are actually not tube mics, but they've been engineered to give a very similar sound. Just listening at AES and comparing to the V69 it did have a tube like sound to them.

We shall see, still waiting to check them out fo' real...

War

Re. the pricing of these, I found this on www.prosoundnews.com:

El Segundo, CA (November 24, 2004)--MXL Microphones, a division of Marshall Electronics, has announced the Silicon Valve series of Solid State, large diaphragm, condenser microphones. The first in the series, the V6 and V12 will be demonstrated at the CES Studio@Home Showcase in Las Vegas, Jan 6-9.

The Silicon Valve series provide the warmth and clarity once only achievable with vintage tube microphones. The younger generation of musicians and home recording enthusiasts are still fascinated with classic mics that were used to record the worlds most famous artist in the 1950's and 60s. The sound was magical and hard to achieve with the new generations of solid state mics and impossible with electret type mics sold for most home recording applications. Classic tube mics typically run from $3,000 to over $10,000, placing them in the league of large professional studios who currently own most of them.

In a project lasting over three years, engineers at Marshall Electronics' HDTV Lab in El Segundo, CA, developed this new series of microphones called the Silicon Valve, which provides this tube-like sound in a solid state microphone. Now, new generations of artists and enthusiasts will be able to achieve remarkable recordings in their home studios with this new series of MXL microphones.

The MXL Silicon Valve V6 will be available in January of 2005 with a MSRP of $349. The V2 will be available in February with an MSRP of $299. Marshall Electronics designs all its video and audio products and maintains complete quality control and customer support in their headquarters in southern California. MXL and the Silicon Valve are registered trademarks of Marshall Electronics, Inc.

MXL/Marshall Electronics, Inc.

Back