Tube amps on a budget...

So the pot is black, the kettle is black, and the pot calls the kettle black....
Does the pot call the kettle black in a bad way? What would the kettle say? "So are you" ? Which is the smarter of the two?

So the pot is black, the kettle is black, and the pot calls the kettle black....
Does the pot call the kettle black in a bad way? What would the kettle say? "So are you" ? Which is the smarter of the two?

I'm just trying to get it, I'm really confused and this is the closest I've ever been to getting it...don't bail on me.

Neither is smarter. The point is that one has no place calling the other black because they both are.

It would be like you and me both showing up at a Weight Watchers meeting--and each of us weigh about 500 lbs. I look at you and say "Wow, you're fat!"

Make sense?

Last edited:
I'm just trying to get it, I'm really confused and this is the closest I've ever been to getting it...don't bail on me.

Well, you see, it's like this. The pot was cast in a steel mill in Pennsylvania, while the kettle came from Sheffield, England. Neither of them had been out of their respective countries before, but they met up in the hold of a steamship (this was many years ago when there were still steamships) bound for Tierra del Fuego. Now, it was very dark in the hold of this ship, and neither pot nor kettle is known for its acute night vision, so naturally they didn't see each other until they clanged loudly together. Irritated, and not wanting to admit his less than stellar eyesight, not to mention his navigation ability, the kettle exclaimed, "If you weren't so black, I'd have observed your approach and I could have avoided this tete-a-tete." (The kettle, being British, was prone to flowery discourse.) "Me?" exclaimed the pot, "I'm not half as black as you are, ya old hunk of underprocessed ferromagnetic material!" Henceforth, it was written that someone pointing out a character flaw in someone when they possess that very same defect themselves shall forever be known as a case of "the pot calling the kettle black". Thus spake Zarathustra.

it was written that someone pointing out a character flaw in someone when they possess that very same defect themselves shall forever be known as a case of "the pot calling the kettle black". QUOTE]

That was great too, I'd give you some green jelly beans or eggs if I were capable.

Hmmm. I have an original Super Champ which I like quite a lot. I'm curious how the new version compares. Certainly is priced inexpensively.

Actually most of the Fender II series tube amps are reasonable considerations for less expensive tube amps these days. They are master volume circuit amps - which some like and some don't, but are pretty well built, being Rivera designed amps. I know that some people like the way they sound and some people don't. I've had a Twin II (since traded) and currently have the aforementioned Super Champ. There were also a Champ II, Princeton II, Deluxe II and Concert II in the tube line (there were some SS amps in the II line as well). If you like their sound, any of them would be worth acquiring IMHO. Aside from the Champ II, the others seem to run about $500-600 with the Twin II being about $800 these days. The price of original Super Champs seems to have come down and they seem to run @$600 or so these days.

As they are not everyone's thing, I'd suggest that you play one before buying if you are interested in a Fender II series amp. If you do shop for one, make sure you get the foot switch with it. These are channel switching amps and people get stupid money for just the foot switch if you have to buy one separately.

I dunno, but dammit, I'm about too. (And I don't need to--so he better have!)

I'm really perked about these Orange amps that some are raving about. In all my experience, I have never come across one. Gonna have to make a few phone calls, and see if I can get one on loan for a trial. Ever since Boogie became mainstream, I've been searching for something that is both unique (or at least not widely used), and great sounding. Not an easy find.
One reason I stopped using the JCM800's was because EVERYBODY, and their brother was using them, and everybody sounded the same due to them being a one trick pony amp. When I stumbled on the Boogie amps, it was an elite group using them. Actually, it was Mike from Fear Of God that turned me on to the MKIV, and MKIII.

OK, this thread has officially outlived its usefulness, there for it is time for it to end. I will now take the necisary steps.

HITLER

I now declare this thread closed. Can we get a moderator to make that official? Oh, wait, I forgot, we don't have moderators around here.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back