Tube amp problem

kuhniget

Well I have been thoroughly enjoying my first tube amp for the month or so I've had it, but today it quit on me. Like I said, this is my first tube amp so figured I should turn to the wise for a word on repair. The amp hadn't moved the past 24 hours, nothing about its state had changed. I just plugged in, turned it on and it started making popping noises like I had a loose cable. Turned it off, checked my cables, nope that's not the problem. Looked behind the amp and turned it back on...there's the problem. One of the tubes was flickering with a spectacular purple blaze..I don't think it was supposed to do that. But no worries, it stopped, along with the rest of the amp. I figure the logical remedy is tube replacement, am I right in thinking that?

What?dont you know tube amps run on smoke,once it all escapes they dont work anymore:D:

Only jokin,dont mess around with it,could be just dodge tube,could be something else causing tube to blow so no point just sticking new tubes in there,probably have to be biased after tube change anyway so take it to a pro and have it checked out.:)

Take it you bought it used?

You take it right. Today's sunday so I won't be gettin it checked out today :( How sad, we were getting along so well... and I'm playing tonight, but that's what solid state back ups are for ha.

You take it right. Today's sunday so I won't be gettin it checked out today :( How sad, we were getting along so well... and I'm playing tonight, but that's what solid state back ups are for ha.

Minor glitch I`m sure,bought most of mine used and quite often have to change tubes and speakers,least you have a back up,hope it works out ok n have a good gig:D

It could be any thing from a dicey guitar cord to something serious. Try changing out cords first: that's inexpensive and may save a trip to the shop.

Well thank you. It was such a good deal I can't complain, as long as its a relatively inexpensive repair. The speaker was recently upgraded by the previous owner and it looks as though the tubes Electro Harmonix. I'm assuming those aren't stock

Probably more wishful thinking than anything else, but have you checked to see if that tube might be loose in the tube socket? It's sure to be cooled off so just take a look and see.:confused:
What brand and model of tube amp, by the way?

It could be any thing from a dicey guitar cord to something serious. Try changing out cords first: that's inexpensive and may save a trip to the shop.

I was actually using a brand new cord I had just bought and used for hours yesterday. Too late to change cords now though, it won't even power on anymore

A bad guitar cable isn't likely to set off pyrotechnics in one of the tubes. I agree with the others; a trip to the amp doctor is called for.

I think I'd go ahead and put a cheap tube in it. If that's it, it'll work. If not..... meh... :D
but it could be cheaper than a doc and possibly, if it's a 12AX7, you can get a cheap one for about 5 bucks.
The freight will probably cost ya twice that. :D

Take a look at what the tube is and then google a schematic of the head.

That'll tell ya what section of the amp the tube is powering. Sounds (to my noob ears) like a preamp tube.

Hell...if it turns out that it's a 12AX7 that went to shit, I'll send ya one of mine.

Oh...and I picked up an old Marshall 2X12 combo for $60 once. The dude said it didn't work so I grabbed it for parts if nothin else.

Turned out to be a fuse. :D

Sweet. :D

Lemme know if I can help man.

Peace ....Kel

Last edited:
Well it's got two 6V6's and a 12AX7 in between. It was the 12AX7 on the right doin the light show. Would a blown tube keep the whole amp from powering on or is that just a blown fuse?

Well it's got two 6V6's and a 12AX7 in between. It was the 12AX7 on the right doin the light show. Would a blown tube keep the whole amp from powering on or is that just a blown fuse?
If a tube is shorting the high voltage supply (and the fireworks in the tube is an indication that that may be the case), then it will blow the fuse and the blown fuse will keep the amp from powering up.

from what you're describing I doubt it's the preamp tube. It possible but not likely that a 12ax7 would blow fuses.
Since this is your first tube amp, I doubt you have a spare 6v6 laying around but if you did, I would try changing it. Power tubes can develop direct shorts which will absolutely blow a fuse.
It could be as simply as needing to replace that tube although in general that means you need to replace both since they need to be a matched pair.

Haha yep there was definitely some smoke. Well I'm off to the amp doctor now. Actually not too sure if this guy up the street knows much about amp repair but he's closer so I'll try him first.

Update on my sitchyashun: I dropped my amp off monday at the local shop. Owner said he'd call in his repair guy. Didn't hear anything all week so I decided to stop by today. He told me his guy took it apart, and his diagnosis was it needed a new transformer (this is assuming he's quoting the guy correctly). Well apparently this part can only be ordered direct from Fender and they're backorded for three months..yummy. Out of curiousity I'm going to get a second opinion as soon as he puts my baby back together. In the meantime, anyone have a spare transformer lying around? :o

Update on my sitchyashun: I dropped my amp off monday at the local shop. Owner said he'd call in his repair guy. Didn't hear anything all week so I decided to stop by today. He told me his guy took it apart, and his diagnosis was it needed a new transformer (this is assuming he's quoting the guy correctly). Well apparently this part can only be ordered direct from Fender and they're backorded for three months..yummy. Out of curiousity I'm going to get a second opinion as soon as he puts my baby back together. In the meantime, anyone have a spare transformer lying around? :o
Is it the power or output transformer? There are places that stock replacement trannies for Fender amps:

http://www.vibroworld.com
http://www.tubesandmore.com
http://www.newoldsounds.com
http://www.beyondeleven.com

It was only the store owner I talked to so he was just summarizing what the repair guy said and didn't specify if it was the power or output transformer. He said the guy had checked around a few different places but it could only be ordered from Fender

Back