TSR-8 question

bloomboy

A question for anyone who actually owns or has experience with a TSR-8: Is it normal for there to be a short delay when punching in where signal is just erased for a moment without anything being recorded? This makes sense if the erase and record heads kick in at the same time, since the tape has to move between them before anything new will get recorded, but it didn't ever happen with my 38- I assume there was some sort of compensatory erase head delay- and it makes tight punch-ins impossible sometimes.

On another note, I'm almost finished recording a 20 minute EP done entirely on 1/2" 8-track, and will be posting some mp3s here when it's ready.

Peace,
Theo

If you're using a footswitch or something, I don't know what happens. However, if you're using the auto punch-in mechanism, I believe it does compensate for the gap between the erase and audio heads.

There is a bit of timing involved, but I've only done it on the MSR-16. I've never done the autopunch, because I never could get the timing quite right for tough punches, so I've just done it manually.

-MD

There is a split-second delay to take into consideration when anticipating a tight punch-in due to the distance between the erase and record heads.

The best way if you don’t have a footswitch is to arm the track and press the record button when it’s time to punch-in

Make sure the insert button is engaged.

It’s kinda tough to do a tight punch-in without a footswitch though if you’re solo.

:)

I mean with a manual punch; no foot switch. I haven't yet found a use for the automatic punch-in.
Really? For me, it's a godsend, even with the remote control. Aside from punching in over a bad take, it's dead useful for editing out blips just before the recording starts, since by using the rehearsal mode you can preview what it's going to erase and only get it to commit when you're absolutely happy.

Back