Trying to reignite the fire....

Kwall

Hello all,

My story probably reads like many others do. Many half attempted starts at Home Recording but invariably pushed aside by interruptions called life and the frustrations of not really knowing what I'm doing and epic mix downs that never end and eventually erode my perseverance...

So now I'm surrounded by unused hardware & software, acquiring more when I hadn't already really used what I have.

It's time to stop, dedicate & execute. I need real time pragmatic advice on how to best implement what I have with hopefully little additional $ outlay (but I'm ready to go there if need be).

While I've flirted with wanting to record a complete group live (VF160), record live stereo quick & easy (H4n) I am now looking to simply record my originals via 80% myself via over dubbing in studio & probably some dubbed live drums at a different location.

I have:
Windows based PC w/i5-2500 3.30 GHz processor, 120G SSD (for O/S & programs) & 1TB 7200rpm (storage) drives.
M-powered Pro Tools 8 (8.0.5)
Audiophile 2496 sound card
Presonus Tube PRE
Fostex VF160fx (& an 8 channel ADA convertor for 16 tacks simul recording)
ZOOM H4n Handy Recorder
Behringer UB2442FX-PRO
Compressors, EQ.s etc. & the ususal live mics and a pair of AT2020's and an AT2021.

So for ease of routing & functionality I'm thinking:

UB2442 as my audio router to record & playback
Tube PRE for recording the solo tracks
2496 into the PC/Pro Tools

Does that make sense or is there value in using the H4N as an interface?

Flirting with an external drive for the portability for gathering the Drum tracks (have eSATA but no Firewire).

Lastly, mix down & mastering: what’s a newbie to do to not burn out & quit (yeah I know, grow a pair)? But seriously, what tools will make it easier and any tips for keeping the inspiration & drive?

Thank you to anyone who feels enough pity to offer a helping hand.

Best to you and thank you very much for any advice offered!

Kwall

But seriously, what tools will make it easier and any tips for keeping the inspiration & drive?

Less is usually more than enough. Don't get hung up on having to use everything, especially with regards to fx, plugins, etc. Get the sound you want going in to the mic, it makes mixing so much easier.

Inspiration/drive wise, it's all down to you. Keep a clear and open mind. Go for walks. Hear the music before attempting to make it. If you know what you want, half the battle is won.

:thumbs up:

Kwall, not an expert, but for mobile recording, I have a low end laptop and a nice little Tascam 1800 (mainly for inputs and price about $300). Seems the biggest challenge for live recording is the drum kit. 5-7 mics is around what I have read as recommended. Some do even more, but it seems 5-7 gets you a long way there.

Right now, I have a mixing computer with the Audiophile 192 that I use for my sessions, the mobile unit to go out and capture the sound, which I will bring back and mix on the main unit. Sounds like you are pretty close to that situation.

You can do the drums with less mics that I stated, issue is going to be control of the mix. Or, if you mic it to a mixer, then set your levels and then output to two channels. My understanding is, you will have limited control when mixing the drum (more cow bell, less kick) when it is time to make those decisions.

Hope this at least gives you some idea.

Like Mr Clean says, simple is good, especially when establishing your work flow.
Use the Presonus or Behr for mic preamps, into the your 2496 card (it doens't have mic preamps, if I remember correctly) - whichever you like best for sound.
If you want to record drums later for your tracks, best to get a new USB interface with enough mic preamps to do what you want, like David says, the US1800 is an inexpensive choice for this, there are others. Using hte mixer is oging to limit you when mixing down - you've got to get the mix right when reocrding that way, because you are going down to a stereo track.

Back