Trying to improve drum sound

toad_uk

I'd appreciate you opinions on my drum sound and whether it's better than on my earlier stuff. I've had a go at tuning the drums, this is the first time I've ever tried it. I've tightened the snare wires you suggested Greg. I've also played with the EQ. Someone here suggested boosting the 200hz are, can't remember who but thanks, it seemed to improve things. The low tom isn't tuned properly as the tension rods I got where too long, but I've had a go at everything else. The kick has a boom to it now, which I tried to get rid of, but I think I kinda like it, reminds me of a hip-hop kinda thing. These are not new heads, so it may sound better with new ones.

The kit is a Maxwin, (Funky 405 I think from Internet piccies) it does not have resonance heads on the bottom of the toms or kick, and never has done (there are no screw holes). From what I can find out they didn't put bottom heads on the old ones. I understand that this means the toms won't resonate as much. I did have the dampers on the toms but I've recorded this with them off. Anyway, hopefully I've improved things. I'm going for that 60s early 70s kind feel.

Thanks

View attachment Drum.mp3

Last edited:
Hey that doesn't sound too bad. You need to get some instruments in there to see how it all works together, but that seems to be a definite improvement over what you had before.

It will depend to at large extent in how it sits with the rest of the mix. But I thought this sounded really pretty good. I like the snare sound. Not a ton of crack to it, but more than a decent amount of power. Cymbals were nice and clear without being harsh.

Kick had a little "boing" to it that I didn't care for too much.

But that's about it as far as complaints. Pretty dang good.

sounds decent man, a little dry but obviously you wouldnt add stuff like that untill you had something to mix with :P

Thanks a lot guys. I know I'm moving in the right direction now. I'll retrack the drums on some of my stuff and see how it works in the mix. I tried to get rid of the boing in the bass, but it kind of grew on me. I've got it damped right down, but since I've tuned the bass it really resonates. I'm gonna try micing the snare on the shell and rim to see if that gives it a bit more crack. Had to damp the snare right down as it was resonating like mad. It's a metal shell, so from what I've read they do resonate more. I think I'm starting to get the hang of tuning, it does make a big difference.

Some of the EQ is boosted to high around 5-8 decibels and one frequency, forget which at the mo, was right up to 12. Is this normal?

Also a bit worried the bottom head on the snare is too tight. How do you know how tight is to tight, I'm afraid of splitting the head.

Anyway thanks for the advice so far. I was happy with the drum sound I had originaly, but your comments (which pee'd me a little at first ;)) have really improved things. Thanks again.

Haha, don't let things get you mad dude. We speak truths! Tuning and mic placement are fundamental concepts that can't be ignored. It seems trivial and elementary and people don't wanna hear it, but I can't even tell you how many times people in here get mad when they're told to simply tune their drums better and then they come back kicking themselves because it makes such a huge difference. Everyone wants to complicate things with tricks and compression and samples and EQ. Just tune em right, mic em right, and play em well, and the rest is pretty easy. Drums truly are one of those instruments where getting it right at the source, before you even think of pressing record, is more than half the battle.

As for the EQ, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Ideally you want to be able to mix with no EQ at all, but that's what it's there for. Corrections and getting things to play well together. If you have to cut or boost something 12db to make it sound right, then do it. Just keep it mind for the next time and try to correct the problem in that area before you track.

Also keep in mind that the seemingly annoying boom and ring you hear in snares and toms usually disappears in a mix and it's those subtle overtones that gives a drum it's musical quality. Dampening those overtones away can make drums sound really dead and lifeless in a full mix. Don't worry too much about how the drums sound solo'd. You gotta think in terms of the full mix with bass, guitars, vocals, keys, etc.

Back