Trying to find replacement valves for an oldish Musicman amp

Mr songwriter said:
Yes, that makes sense, I think I will go for a matched pair.

What does getting my bias set involve? would I be better off getting a qualified amp tech to do it?

Some amps have adjustable bias, some don't. If yours doesn't, then it's a non-issue, but if it does, it really should be set every time you change power tubes.

Setting the bias determines the operating range of the power tubes, and it makes a pair of tubes in push-pull smoothly hand off the switchover from one to the other for the positive and negative sides of the output waveform. An incorrect bias can give you a flat, distorted sound and/or burn out the power tubes very quickly.

Every individual tube has its own "comfort zone" that is determined by bias voltage, and a set of power tubes shares one bias circuit, so that is why using matched pairs (or sets, if more than one pair is in the amp) is important.

A tech will use an oscilloscope and a calibated dummy load to set the bias, so unless you have that stuff and know what to look for, I'd send it to a tech.

Rockdoc & GGunn: thanks for the info, I've just bought a matched pair of Marshall EL34's, so I'll try them out and see if I'm getting the flat, distorted sound you describe, if so, I'll get a tech to do the bias.

After all this MM talk I went home last night and proceeded to try and record with my MM hd12. Good God almighty is that thing loud! I had my monitors pushed and the amp was still way overbearing. I look at the master volume and it was on 2! This thing is silly loud, but sounds wonderful once she gets hot. What a score for $400 Canadian.

Mr songwriter said:
Rockdoc & GGunn: thanks for the info, I've just bought a matched pair of Marshall EL34's, so I'll try them out and see if I'm getting the flat, distorted sound you describe, if so, I'll get a tech to do the bias.

OK, but an incorrect bias setting can also run the tubes too hot, which might sound good to you but can burn up your new power tubes pretty quickly. A bias set by a tech is not that expensive. When last I changed tubes on my old Super Reverb, I saved a few bucks by pulling the chassis and just bringing that in.

ggunn said:
OK, but an incorrect bias setting can also run the tubes too hot, which might sound good to you but can burn up your new power tubes pretty quickly. A bias set by a tech is not that expensive. When last I changed tubes on my old Super Reverb, I saved a few bucks by pulling the chassis and just bringing that in.

Cost of new set of tubes = £20 - £40, which is roughly the same as what I would expect the tech to charge me, so I'll have to think about that one, though I do like the idea of taking the electric bits out of the chassis.

Thanks, Mr ggunn.

I had the MM site bookmarked before my hard drive decided to bail. Looks like it has been expanded quite a bit.

Thanks for the link, they seem to recommend 6CA7's over EL34's for MM amps, I'll try and remember that next time I buy a set. I put the EL34's in and tried it out and it did sound quite a bit better, definitely sharper, clearer and more consistent. The volume fluctuations I was getting with the bright switch on seem to have disappeared too. I haven't really cranked it up yet, but it doesn't sound as though it needs biasing (I *hope* - I'll see how long these tubes last)

As people have said, these amps aren't really known for a heavy metal sound, but I can get quite a reasonable one out of it if I use my EH Big Muff with it.

Back