trying to decide on what mixer i need...

dix0r

i posted this over in the mixing forum too but i didn't get any responses. figured i'd try over here cause it is a pretty newbie question, heh.

anyways, i think i wanna get me a mixer before i start buying mics or outboard gear or anything.

i basically want something that i can continue to use for quite sometime without "outgrowing it" and needing to upgrade.

based on some stuff i've read on here, i think the RAMSA WR-T820 might be good for me.

i was hoping you could let me know if that would be a good choice or not.

thanks,

-mike

hey, thats cool.

but what instruments are you going to record?
theres no use in buying a 10000000 channel mixer if you're just recording yourself with acoustic gtr and vox lol
neither there is in getting a small/cheap mixer if you're recording a whole band at the same time lol

give us a little more info so we can really help
:D

Memo

sorry...i knew i left something out :]

at this point, i'm planning on recording normal rock band type stuff...drums, guitar, vox, and bass. i don't think i'll be doing any live tracking any time soon, but if i can, i guess thats a bonus, heh.

so, i figured i'd need a minimum of 10 inputs - 1 kick, 1 snare, 3 toms, 2 overheads, and a few left over in case i mic up the hat or use a room mic or they have 4 toms, something like that.

i think i'll probably end up recording into my computer...would the RCA outs that board has be a problem? do i just need a A/D converter?

thanks again, and sorry for all the questions :]

Best general home studio mixer you can get in the working man's budget....

Carvin SM162.... $239.99

16 channels 1-8 hi or lo. with inserts
9-16 paired up as stereo and a 12db boost
2 channels for effects.
Tape ins and outs
Hi mid and low eq for each channel.
and a lil phantom power to boot.

All in a steel box of about 13x18 inches. sits by your side as faithful as a beagle.

www.carvin.com

let me repete..... $239.99

dix0r said:
sorry...i knew i left something out :]

at this point, i'm planning on recording normal rock band type stuff...drums, guitar, vox, and bass. i don't think i'll be doing any live tracking any time soon, but if i can, i guess thats a bonus, heh.

so, i figured i'd need a minimum of 10 inputs - 1 kick, 1 snare, 3 toms, 2 overheads, and a few left over in case i mic up the hat or use a room mic or they have 4 toms, something like that.

i think i'll probably end up recording into my computer...would the RCA outs that board has be a problem? do i just need a A/D converter?

thanks again, and sorry for all the questions :]

rca outs are not a problem. yes, you need an a/d converter.

do you have a good soundcard?? you can get an audiophile 2496 for 150 dlls or so at musiciansfriend.com it has rca ins and outs and other things

right now i have some generic sound card...i don't know what it is but i doubt it would be good for recording, heh.

i've heard good things about that audiophile card you suggested, but i figured that i would need something with more inputs...

thanks again for the help guys :]

If you're doing PC recording, one basic question is whether you need a mixer at all. A mixer makes it easy to get the sound in, but then you can't change the balance of different sounds as they are already combined into 1/2 tracks.

If you get a multiple input PC sound interface, you can record each mic and then balance things like kick, snare, and hi-hat later after other tracks are added. That approach gives you far more flexibility.

Ed

well, i have about $700 right now, but i would definitely be willing to save up more.

and thanks ed - i'm looking into sound cards right now too, heh.

What is it you want to record? Single artist/tracks, or whole bands?

$700 is not a lot of cash if you need recording software, PC interfaces, and mics. Good mics start at about $100 each and up.

Ed

oh yeah, i know thats not that much for everything.

i meant to say that i have up to $700 for a mixer alone right now, and that i would be willing to spend more than that too.

and it would be for recording rock bands, so drums, guitar, bass, and vox...nothing special for now at least.

once again, thanks for all the responses guys. i got a lot more help over here than at harmony central :]

Next question..........

How many sources do you need to record simultaneously?

That will help us to steer you in the correct direction.

But only $700.00 USD :eek:, I don't know if that's enough.........

Again, the answer to my last tatement will depend on the amount of simultaneous recording inputs you need.

Peace...

spin

dix0r said:
oh yeah, i know thats not that much for everything.

i meant to say that i have up to $700 for a mixer alone right now, and that i would be willing to spend more than that too.

and it would be for recording rock bands, so drums, guitar, bass, and vox...nothing special for now at least.

once again, thanks for all the responses guys. i got a lot more help over here than at harmony central :]

If you want to record bands I would be concerned with an 8 channel board as you could use up inputs pretty quick. What are you going to do if you want to close mic a band that's got a drummer with a huge kit? What if you want to do some "live" recording of the band when you find out none of them have ever done any recording and they can't seem to play unless the whole band is playing? I'd be saving $$ and be shopping for a good 16 channel board at least.

i figured that the most i'd probably be recording at once is 10 tracks - snare, kick, 3 x toms, 2 x overheads, and a few left over in case i get room mics or something.

if i had enough channels to do live tracking with my band that would be cool too, but i know that would probably cost a lot heh.

oh, and i was saying i'd be willing to spend more than 700 - just that was all i have right now.

therage! said:
If you want to record bands I would be concerned with an 8 channel board as you could use up inputs pretty quick. What are you going to do if you want to close mic a band that's got a drummer with a huge kit? What if you want to do some "live" recording of the band when you find out none of them have ever done any recording and they can't seem to play unless the whole band is playing? I'd be saving $$ and be shopping for a good 16 channel board at least.

ermm, i don't think i said anything about getting an 8 channel board? if so i didn't mean to. that ramsa is like 20 channels i believe.

sorry to keep throwing out random model numbers, lol, but what about a mackie 24x8? what would be a good deal on one? (theres a few for sale near me).

dix0r said:
ermm, i don't think i said anything about getting an 8 channel board? if so i didn't mean to. that ramsa is like 20 channels i believe.

sorry to keep throwing out random model numbers, lol, but what about a mackie 24x8? what would be a good deal on one? (theres a few for sale near me).

You probably didn't say anything about 8 channels, just me ramblin. lol

I've got an Alesis Studio 24 which has served me well to get into recording but It's getting to that time to think about moving up the ladder. If I decide to stay analog Soundcraft mixers will be at the top of the list as guys around who have them rave about the high quality pre's and eq they have. If I decide to go digital the Yamaha 01V96 has me interested. One of the things I don't like about Mackies (at least their lower priced units) is they are not inline mixers so they don't have ditect outs and in's on every channel like my Alesis, but you can work around that by repatching or maybe using inserts.

I'm sure someone here can help you with the Mackie questions.

Good luck

Check out one of these. You can get them for about $590 at Full Compass. From what I've been told they have a little bit better pres than mackies, and their EQ wacks the shit out of everyone elses in the price range. 12 channels is enough to record a band, too (I should know).

A very nice start, if you ask me, and for cheap. I put mine straight into a delta 1010.

dix0r said:

based on some stuff i've read on here, i think the RAMSA WR-T820 might be good for me.

Ive done demo's on this console. I think if you can find the B model in good shape you'll be more than happy for along time.

SoMm

Ed Dixon said:
If you're doing PC recording, one basic question is whether you need a mixer at all. A mixer makes it easy to get the sound in, but then you can't change the balance of different sounds as they are already combined into 1/2 tracks.

If you get a multiple input PC sound interface, you can record each mic and then balance things like kick, snare, and hi-hat later after other tracks are added. That approach gives you far more flexibility.

Ed

sorry to bump this thread again, but i just re-read it and i realized that i had misunderstood your response here.

what exactly is a "multiple input PC sound interface?"

when i read it before i guess i thought it was like a soundcard...with like 8 inputs or something.

now i wonder if you meant something like the digi002?

sorry!

Back