Trying to decide on gear...

Mip

I'm trying to decide between these setups:

1. Computer, soundcard (at least 4 I/O), cubasis vst (also using mastering section for mastering), + mics, etc...

2. Alesis HD-24, mixer, alesis masterlink for mastering + mics, etc...

3. Roland VS-2480, alesis masterlink + the rest....

I want to record my band as well as other bands, and release my CD's. Which setup would give the best sound quality?
I'm just a bit put off the computer setup because of the fact that computers are obsolete within a year, and i'd like something more portable like the other setups i've listed.
I read a review on the VS-2480 and it looks like it has a mastering section, but the burner is optional. Is the mastering section on the VS series good, or would I be better off getting the masterlink for mastering?

Thanks in advance.

"I'm just a bit put off the computer setup because of the fact that computers are obsolete within a year, and i'd like something more portable like the other setups i've listed."

More portable, yeah, and often easier to get up and operating right from the start. But your idea about obsolescence applies more to standalones than computers. Computers can be upgraded in both hard- and software. Standalones tend to be far less upgradable. In terms of sound, I don't think there's much important difference for a home recordist.

Another plus for the computer:

It is obviously the way of the future. Programs
like Cakewalk and Cubase can be very complex
at first, but once you learn one, they all have the
same basic principles. So if you start soon,
you wont be lost when the Pentium 12 chip
comes out, and Logic features 17:1 surround
sound.

The Roland and Alesis Machines look great,
I must admit, but so did the Tascam 424
many, many years ago. That Cakewalk Sonar
looks mighty fine to me..............

When I bought my recorder I never imagined how much I would lug it around to friends houses and rehearsal studios to record. Stand-alone recorders win hands down if you need portability.

Computer systems are fantastic once up and running, but there is so much more to think about and many more owner's manuals to read. However, when a cool new piece of software comes out you can incorporate it into your system.

All recording gear can become obsolete over time. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying something. They said DAT was obsolete 4 years ago because I still have the magazines that proclaimed that. Looking at how many are still being sold and used today, they were obviously wrong.

WideAwake, very nicely said, good points.

When Mip started this thread, he DID mention
portability. Hard to lug around a 20 inch monitor,
Computer, Keyboard, mouse, soundcard, hard drive,etc.

The computer is probably the best long term way
to go, but Mip didnt ask for advice about longterm,
he wants to get same bands recorded soon, so
perhaps the Roland is the best way for him to
go.
The Roland or Alesis will make killer recordings
in the right hands, and they are portable.

Maybe Mip can get that Roland NOW, and learn about
recording techniques and all that jazz, and maybe
down the line switch to computer ( or better yet
use both).

Good Ideas, WideAwake

Back