trying to build beginner setup

pedro maldonado

wassup people?!
Recently i've purchased a Zoom mrs4 (digital 4-track)
a Zoom RT 123,a Zoom RT323,a Shure SM58 and a bullshit Next
DJS-24 dj sampler.Oh yeah,also a cheapo Yamaha psr280 keyboard.So.........Here's the question

1)Would it be good to have a small mixer with this setup?If so-digital or analog,powered etc,etc.Can you suggest one for about $200

2)Would it also be good to get an eq?If so what kind,how many bands and so on-for about $200

3)How about effects?under$200

4)How about a compressor or limiter or noise gate ?All-in-ones any good- suggest any for under $200

As you can tell,I'm a rookie at this recording stuff but I'm VERY,VERY interested in getting into it.I'm sorry about all the questions but I don't know who else to ask and you guys seem to know your shit!

P.S. if this helps i'll be producing mostly hip hop/r&b stuff so most of the goods will be programmed so i don't need alot of live musicians doing live shit for me

thanks in advance to any that replies to this rookies post!!!!!!!

Ok. Here's what I'd do (in order).

First, slow down, yo. It's great to see you pumped up and diving right in, just make sure you do your homework before you part with the dough.

Couple of things...
If you're going to be balls out with this, you're probably going to outgrow 4 tracks in a big hurry. You can make it work with a mixer, but you're going to have to be very careful. This is probably going to become your nemesis, so keep the box.

Assuming that you're going to be programming and sync'ing both of the drum machines and playing the keys all at the same time, you'd probably need to take all three into a mixer, and into tracks 1 & 2 on one pass (everything in stereo, so you'd be using 6 tracks on the mixer). Next pass, you get vocals, samples, and anything else you want in there in same pass - through the mixer and into tracks 3&4 (in stereo).

I'm not sure what effects you have built into your 4-track (if any). So if there are none, you'll need an effects box or rack unit (digitech, behringer, etc.) that has reverb, chorus, delay.

You'll probably need to compress your vocals on the way in. If you plan on upgrading this studio later on, buy the stuff that will grow with you. Get an RNC (stands for Really Nice Compressor). Around 200 bucks.

You'll need the mixer. 200 bucks is going to be tough, so look on Ebay for a Spirit or Mackie - get one with individual track inserts if you can - it'll come in handy down the road if you upgrade.

The mixer will have a basic EQ, so you could wait on getting a good outboard one until later.

All that being said, think about this:

You're talking about spending $800 bucks on gear you may outgrow. Why not sell the 4 track and get a workstation. You can pick up a Roland VS-1680 used for about 800 bucks on ebay. Then you've got everything you need in one box ...effects, mixer, preamps, EQ, the whole smash.

...something to think about.

The ZOOM MRS 4 has built in Effects, Compressor, Limiter, Noise Gate, Etc. It's a great lil workstation for the bux. Read your manual to find out what all the features this lil monster has. I was thinking bout one of these at one time but decided to go the puter route and I'm still saving for it so I can replace my Tascam 414 MKII cassette.

If I were you and already had all that stuff, I would get a decent mixer to go along with what you have right now. Well within your price range is the Behringer MX 2004A at 250 bux. I have one and I love it. Berry has come a long way. Or you could spend 600 bux on a Mackie. A good mixer generally will have plenty of EQ built in.

Then I would get several Smart Media Cards if you haven't already. Many computer discount stores sell the 128 Meg SM cards for around 50 bux.

Last edited:
Seanmorse79 said:
You're talking about spending $800 bucks on gear you may outgrow. Why not sell the 4 track and get a workstation. You can pick up a Roland VS-1680 used for about 800 bucks on ebay. Then you've got everything you need in one box ...effects, mixer, preamps, EQ, the whole smash.

...something to think about.

Some real good advice here, Even the VS-890 (My personal Fav) will work for you, also the Behringer 802A isn't bad for around $100 buks, fewer inputs but it's a good mixer and can free up some dough for the WS...

Lyon

thanks

hey fellas thanks for the responses,lots of good advice,I'm actually considering all the suggestions you fellas have posted,to see which one is going to be right for me .Thanks

Back