Trying Sonar 8 after 10 yrs of Cubase..

Hey all! I'm sure there are lots of Cakewalk gurus here, I'd just like to ask a couple of questions as I'm trying out Sonar after being a longtime Cubase user..

-Loop recording with midi; Ok I've got a 4 bar section looped, playing drums from the keyboard, it's going looping over and over and after take 8 I played it just right.. I stop and hit play and BLAM! All 8 takes are playing at once. Now I have to go into the layer view and try to delete the previous 7 teeny little lanes.. With Cubase I just recorded over and over and it just kept my last take, no need to delete/mute previous ones. This seems really strange. Am I missing something?

-Can't auto-arm tracks. Any tracks I selected (audio or midi) used to arm just by selecting them. The help now says "tracks cannot be auto-armed because you may inadvertently erase previous tracks.." Well if you did that you could just ctrl/z couldn't you? It's a computer not a tape recorder. Now I constantly have to arm/unarm.. also strange!

That's all for now, any insight as to how anyone else uses the midi loop would be great, thanks!

If you go to record options, you can choose between sound on sound or overwrite. That's why you ended up with all those tracks. Yours is set to sound on sound.

Here is the sequence:

At the top left of the screen you will see "Transport"

Choose > transport > record options > toggle overwrite (replace)

That should do it for you.

As far as arming a track, that's pretty simple, just click on the R and it turns red. You have to choose some kind of input though. Like "in" > (Your interface) > midi and then the out has to be to your main out of your interface.

Or your out could be set to "master" also.

HTH

Wig:)

No I already have it on overwrite.. but, it keeps every track I do and then I have to delete all the ones I don't want. I just want it to keep the very last track I did and totally discard all the others as I record.

If I had it on sound on sound it would keep adding the instruments in each pass, on top of each other.

Well I found that the "rebuild layers" command will make the lanes larger so they're managable anyways.. Maybe I can get used to it..

In recording audio with loops all the lanes do automatically mute except the last one with replace selected which is good. But having to arm and select input monitoring every time.. uhhh... Should be done just by selecting the track.

Back