Trying something new

Cool thanks Heat.

Also I've tried repping everyone here and I could only get a couple. So I'm sorry for that.

Hey thanks K-dub. Yeah I think I agree with you two also. I don't know why I eq'd those guitars the way I did. I guess because there was just so many guitar tracks and I wasn't used to anything like that. I was messing with it a little while ago and I think I'm heading in the right direction now.

Thanks for the compliment on the tracking it's the hardest part of the process for me. Trying to double everything and then messing up and having to start over. It really gets me in a bad mood quick. LOL. But the whole fun of it is learning, so it's all good. :D

Thanks again.

Mixing is very difficult when you've got instruments all in similar frequency ranges. It's hard to carve clear space because they're stepping all over each other.

I'd also caution against over complicating ... meaning if there's not a solid reason to do it, don't do it. Having clear purpose is paramount. "Just because I can" is never a good enough reason by itself.

Most of what I do is take instruments out unless it's critical for them to be there.

Just random recording thoughts ... :)

Mixing is very difficult when you've got instruments all in similar frequency ranges. It's hard to carve clear space because they're stepping all over each other.

I'd also caution against over complicating ... meaning if there's not a solid reason to do it, don't do it. Having clear purpose is paramount. "Just because I can" is never a good enough reason by itself.

Most of what I do is take instruments out unless it's critical for them to be there.

Just random recording thoughts ... :)

Thanks for the tips dude. Taking parts out might be my best option, but I do like the stereo acoustic setup. I'm sure there is no solid reason for me to have to do it, but I thought it would be fun to try. I over complicate everything. :D

Have a good one K.

Thanks for the listen and comment squibble. Yeah I like the sound that the bass has and I would have loved if he could have nailed it and he would liked to have too, but this is the best take I got before he got a job traveling, so.

The drum machine I use is a Boss Dr 5 and I've used Boss distortion pedals before and thought they were ok, but this thing don't have a whole lot of cool drum sounds on it. All of the kits are kind of wack. If I had the extra money I would get one of the better sounding drum software like some people on here use, but I guess I have to just keep on keeping on with what I got for now.

I really appreciate the input though.

Sweetwater marked EZDrummer down to $50, so you might want to check that out.

The playing and texture sounds good to me, but my initial response was the same as expressed by a few on here - the mix doesn't have enough bass from the lower frequencies to give it warmth/roundedness.

Drum machine sounds fine too, but then I quite like drum machines!

Sweetwater marked EZDrummer down to $50, so you might want to check that out.

Cool, thanks for the heads up squibble. I'll check it out.

The playing and texture sounds good to me, but my initial response was the same as expressed by a few on here - the mix doesn't have enough bass from the lower frequencies to give it warmth/roundedness.

Drum machine sounds fine too, but then I quite like drum machines!

Hey thanks for taking a listen rob. Yeah there really ain't much there in the low end. I'm working on it, but this has really been a very positive experience because i'm learning a heck of a lot.

Thanks for the comment and I'm glad you like the drum machine. :D

Trump

I really appreciated everyone's comments on this little tune and would like to know if I have made the mix any better. I hated to bump this thread, but I just wanted to know if I have made any progress. I appreciate any comments (including: why did you bump this thread you loser :))

Anyways thanks and have a good one.

http://www.box.net/shared/k93lpmavs3

It's definitely better. The first version sounded "scooped" or hollow, but now it sounds like you've brought back some lows and low-mids to give it some more body.

Good job :)

It's definitely better. The first version sounded "scooped" or hollow, but now it sounds like you've brought back some lows and low-mids to give it some more body.

Good job :)

Wow Austin. That was quick and I really appreciate the reply on this. Yeah the first one was a little "squeeky" maybe and I thought I would give it another try. I appreciate the re-listen and the comment. It means alot.

Trump

The beater click is competing with the guitar, T ... I'd pull it down (look in the 2-3k range) and look to add more meat down low ... 50-100 cycles.

In order to separate the competing frequencies on the guitars (very similar in timbre), take one and pan more to the right, the other more to the left. If it were me, I'd try to eq a wholly different timbre to the lead --- maybe even have a little fun with it and run it through a distortion plug or something of the like.

This is a better mix than the first ... but it's still got some issues.

Kev-

Back