Trutone blank cassettes

justinchannell said:
Does "High-quality cassettes loaded with Maxell high-bias tape" mean that it's Type II?

Probably. Conceivably, one might refer to Type IV tape as "high bias," but usually it's called "metal." I would be pretty confident that, in this context, "high bias" means Type II.

I've been using Type I tapes and want to use proper media for the recorder, so would these be a good solution?

They should definitely be better than Type I tapes.

There are number of places that do this: buy 1/8" tape in bulk from the tapemaker and package it into their own cassettes. I think Markertek does, and Full Compass and various tape suppliers. So far as I can tell, the tape is the sort of "good standard" tape from the manufacturer, though not the top-of-the-line. Whether it's worth paying up for the top-of-the-line (with which you also get the brand name right there on the shell) is your call. I suppose it depends on the relative quantities of money you want to spend vs. minutes of music you want to record.

Make sure your recorder supports Type II, also known as Chrome or the songs will sound pretty tinny. Chrome is better, Metal (IV) is best but only if your deck supports them.

Yes.

My statement that Type II would be better than Type I was based on a dangerously unstated assumption that your deck "prefers" Type II, based on (i) your statement, in reference to Type II tapes, that you have "been using Type I tapes and want to use proper media for the recorder" and (ii) the fact that the Portastudios I have seen are all set up for Type II tape. But I haven't seen a Vesta Fire recorder (except in catalogs quite some years ago -- like the Musician's Friend catalog when it used to be black-and-white on newsprint).

Back