TRUMPET!!

kikling

Hey, I want to learn to play the trumpet. I already know the guitar, the bass, keyboards and drums. So now that i know string, keyboard and percussion instruments, i want to learn a brass instrument. So can you guys give me advice? I want to get a second-hand trumpet, but what should i look for in the trumpet to make sure it works? Meaning when I eventually see a used trumpet for a good price (actually what would be a good price?) what things should i check for? Is there any special dents in certain parts of the trumpet that could mess up the whole sound? please explain to me. Im 14 years old and i never played a trumpet before. Thanks a lot.
-jack

P.S I'm aware that this is not the proper forum for this question, but what forum is there?

Yo Gnilkik:] Kikling spelled backwards!

Easy way to do trumpet is to buy a synthesizer and use the trumpet setting and programming.

I took trumpet lessons in college and you need to be born with a good lip; it takes six months to develop a lip; some guys/gals make it look so easy playing the horn but it is a difficult axe. The Tenor Sax, on the other hand, is pretty easy to learn.

I'm sure you can find a trumpet for sale; maybe check with your high school band director? Or, buy the horn and take lessons at one store/studio.

You are already a one man band.

Happy New Year
Green Hornet

That's a tough horn to learn ... but not impossible. It'll take a while to get your embouchure together enough to get a good tone ... but you can do it! I wouldn't use a synth patch unless I intentionally wanted it to sound cheesy. ;)

As far as buying used ... just make sure all the slides and valves move freely. The large slide by the bell is the main tuning slide for the horn, while the smaller slide coming out of valve 3 (with the ring on it) is for fine tuning notes which use that valve (mostly low C# and D notes). If the slides coming out of valves 1 and 2 stick, you can live with it ... but you have to be able to move the main tuning slide and the valve 3 slide. The main tuning slide can be a *little* stubborn, but the valve 3 slide should move almost as fast as the valves.

NO DENTS in the valve casing!! ... you need to be able to move the valves pretty fast ... but little dings and such in the bell or elsewhere won't kill you. You can always get those pounded out pretty cheaply. If the valves stick at all ... oil them and see if it improves ... if it doesn't I'd move onto a different horn. You can probably get that stuff fixed too ... but the valves are such an important moving part ... if they give you trouble ... you will really be at a disadvantage. Especially if you're just starting.

I'd also make sure to buy a new mouthpiece ... you can use a used one ... but that's kinda gross if you think about it. :) I think most student-model horns come with a 5c or 7c size mouthpiece. I use a 3c because I can get a more warm and well-rounded tone than with the smaller cup sizes.

Oh ... another thing to note ... trumpets come in all sorts of weird keys ... you'll want to get a regular old B-flat trumpet to start with. Look for student model horns if you want to save some money ... also you could get a cornet instead which may even be a little cheaper.

Hope that helps ... good luck.

It's easier if you start with a tenor horn and work your way up to a trumpet as the horn's mouthpiece is larger and easier to get the hang of.
cheers
John

Yo'Kikling,you can do whatever you wanna' do! You wanna'play
the trumpet? You go right ahead! I played a lil'in hi-school
and taught my self. I started 1st by buying a mouth-piece to
practice emboucher,lip and breath control. Tightening the lips produced higher notes and loosening, the opposite. Then
practiced staccato,syncopation,circulatory,rhythmic, vibrato techniques on the mouthpiece even before I put a trumpet in my hand.When I had the those basic's down,I learned fingering,octave climbing(No!I was never near a Maynard Ferguson or particularly that good period!)reading,harmonics and eventually my own style! I am actually a bass player (been at it since I was 13 with a 10 year layoff included)but at the time my hi-school already had a bass player and I needed to learn a brass instument if I was going to make it in the school band.(Man,they had some fine-@ss girls in the school...lemme stop reminiscin'! :) ) My point is,take each step at a time,learn the basics from the bottom up,patience,
and if you really wanna' play the trumpet,commitment! Kik',
you can do anything you put your heart and mind into!
Peace.
Mr.Q

You know Q, I played in a brass band as a kid and haven't played a brass instrument since, but I still play melodies in my head with three fingers :)

cheers
John

Back