TRS8 or C278 ???

sixtiesman

I have just received a Revox C278, looks good, not tested it yet.

I currently own ( and have been using ) a TSR8

My problem is I can only keep one of them.

Now I know all you USA types buy the tascam stuff!!!!!!

But...is there that rare animal out there who has seen both machines and can possibly give me some opinion?? However glib......

best regards

sixtiesman

No takers then?

Does anybody know anything about the Revox C278?

I would be grateful for any comment at all!!!!!

sixtiesman

I figured someone would have responded that had more experience with the C278, but since not…

In situations like this I usually recommend keeping the one in the best condition. Since we’re dealing with used machines these days, a feature-by-feature comparison is of little value if one is used up. They are comparable – both from the late 80’s, but with different pros and cons.

I own the TSR-8 and have limited exposure to the C278. A friend of mine ran the 278 for the sound system in a planetarium many years ago. It sounded great and no problems at all… well, it’s a Revox. ;)

The Revox has no on-board NR, but it does have Dolby HX Pro and a 3-head design. It has three speeds – 3-3/4, 7-1/2 and 15 ips, if that’s useful for your purposes. It’s not a factor for me. The Revox has better access to electronics (from the front) for calibration. It also has a spooling function, which I wish the Tascam had.

But, my TSR-8 has never faltered, except for those damned plastic reel clampers. I like having on-board dbx NR and don’t mind the 2-head design all that much.

The thing I don’t know is anything about the long-term for the C278. I never see 10-15 year-old C278s like I do the TSR-8.

Since you have both in your possession, hopefully you will soon be able tell the rest of us which to keep and why. I’m interested in what an older C278 can do. :)

Back