"TRS insert" problem/question

yrdbrd

hey guys,

i recently bought a Studio Projects VTB-1 and am having some problems
getting the TRS insert to work. i've got the right cable (i think... stereo plug
into two mono jacks?) & am trying to patch a processor through it but when
the plug is all the way in i get no sound at all. i noticed when unplugging from
the VTB-1 insert, at the first click, sound comes through (w/no effect) and then
just before the plug is pulled all the way out i can hear the effect of the processor
kick in (but cant get it to stay there).

do i need to un-ground one of the cables going to/coming from the processor?

maybe the insert on the VTB-1 is mis-wired?

seems to me like it must be a wiring issue... seeing as how i can hear the
processor just before the plug is all the way removed.

any help would be much appreciated...

sajs... the cord in the pic is like mine except mine has female 1/4" mono instead of rca plugs... i then use guitar patch cables to go to/from the processor

Gherkin... yea, that was my first thought, i've switch them with no luck. i have since checked them using a multi-meter and now know for sure which is "in" and which "out"

i guess the next thing is to open up the VTB-1 and see if somethings goin on with the insert...

thanks for the info/suggestions

sajs... the cord in the pic is like mine except mine has female 1/4" mono instead of rca plugs... i then use guitar patch cables to go to/from the processor
It sounds like you have a stereo splitter (like to drive two sets of headphones) rather than an insert cable. That would account for your symptoms you describe.

Problem solved...

i feel like such a fool... but i'm sure it won't be the last time:p

i ass-u-me(d) the y-cord "must" be stereo to mono because it has one red
and one white female jack - i thought it must be left and right -

why would anyone make a stereo to stereo splitter with different colores?

anyway... thanks for all the help

Back