Troubleshooting a DX-8?

needledrop

So, my 80-8 seems to be working fine for the moment, but I'm still having problems with the DX-8 noise reduction unit. It was working on and off. Now, hardly any sound is coming through from the recorded track on playback. I hear it trying to make it through along with a sizzling sound? If I byppass the dx-8 channel or turn the unit off the playback for that channel or all is fine.
I prefer the sound of the DX-8 as opposed to bypassing it....(when it's working properly!!)
Does anybody have any experience wit this problem or these units?

beyond the basic power supply type troubleshooting you'll mostlikely need to see someone who knows these units well..(a certified tech) they can be pretty involved and need recalibration if it requires working within channels...

is it open???? do a visual check for smoke and liquid from popped electrolytics first... do you have a meter and/or scope??? do all the regulators seem to be up??? any lines show a bunch of ripple???

I did open it up. It was extremely dusty. I cleaned it up a sprayed deoxit, but it seemed to only make things worse. I'm wondering if I should just look for another one on ebay, I think it might be cheaper, Analog techs here in the city can be pricey.

The DX-8 is getting on in years (way before my time). It could be as simple as oxidized contacts or as complicated as mass capacitor failures. You might fix it by recapping the power supply, or it might just be a lot of work for naught.

If it were me I would buy two TASCAM DX-4D Units to replace the DX-8. It would probably cost you less in the long run.

The DX-8 is getting on in years (way before my time). It could be as simple as oxidized contacts or as complicated as mass capacitor failures. You might fix it by recapping the power supply, or it might just be a lot of work for naught.

If it were me I would buy two TASCAM DX-4D Units to replace the DX-8. It would probably cost you less in the long run.

I'd agree with most of what you said except for the DX-D4's having different control plug connections then what the 80-8 has and might present potential rewiring issues of the cascade cable plugs which may or may not be compatible.

Cheers! :)

I'd agree with most of what you said except for the DX-D4's having different control plug connections then what the 80-8 has and might present potential rewiring issues of the cascade cable plugs which may or may not be compatible.

Cheers! :)

You’re probably right... I'm just so used to hacking and modifying everything to fit, sometimes I forget that most people don't want to go to DIY land, were even angels fear to tread. :D

I was born with a soldering iron in my hand… mom was not amused. :eek:

So does that only mean i'd have to switch from encode to decode etc., manually? Or might there be an audio mismatch as well?

Back