trouble with vsti and realtime latency

Br3n

i am using cubase 5 with a tascam 1641 and an oxygen 49 key usb keyboard.

i am having trouble getting the latency down to a playable response. its currently at about 24ms with the tascam on a low latency setting and the bit rate up to 24bit 96k recording.

so anyone any idea how to get this down.

also i have the same set up in the studio i use using sonar 8 with no problems at all but i much prefer using cubase so before i do the big swap i want to figure this out.

Well, lowering your sample rate from 96kHz per second to 48kHz per second would really help lowering your latency. A sample rate of 96kHz requires a lot of your harddisk speed and cache and general computer performance.
But basically it comes down to your interface, the driver, the connectivity of your interface, your mainboard and the performance of the computer components. Somewhere in between those, there's a bottleneck.

You write that it's a Cubase specific issue. If you record in Sonar 8 in the same resolution and with the same intensity without problems, check out Device Setup in Cubase and look how Cubase prioritizes audio in relation to MIDI and see if you've turned on Steinberg's power scheme. If you can, activate it.

Steiney power scheme did not come up until C6 as far as I know. I could totally be wrong tho. Maybe c5. I found it completely redundant, unless running a pathetic processor, Like the AMD 2 core. Don't even know he name, but it sucked hardcore.

Your computer specs and setup have so much to do with this possible issue, that it is not even a guess that could be given by anyone. Even the chosen ones want mac and cheese, before giving advice. Still, you will get no good resultant advice until you give specs of your system. Period-no comebacks without your system specs....

:)

Last edited:
ok my specs of what i use is as follows any ideas is greatly appreciated

pc is an amd phenom 2 quad core at 2.4mz with 6 gig ddr3 ram
it has 2 hard drives one is a 300gb for the os the other is 1tb for all other data
i have a tascam 1641 i normally run at 16 bit 48k for recording but i found turning this up to 24/32bit float 96k gave me better latency
using an oxygen usb midi keyboard for soft synths and piano stuff.

any ideas?

You have the quad core. :)

You should not be having this much latency with your system.

Have you taken the steps to optimize performance for audio? W7?

is that in windows? i have w7 its never been that much of an issue until recently where projects are starting to get reliant on soft synths

turns out i have done all but one step of this. il see what difference this makes over the coming sessions.

Well, lowering your sample rate from 96kHz per second to 48kHz per second would really help lowering your latency. A sample rate of 96kHz requires a lot of your harddisk speed and cache and general computer performance.

Actually, latency DECREASES when sample rate INCREASES. If you're getting, say, 5ms at 48kHz, you should get roughly half that at 96kHz. This is due to the samples being half the length.

In any case, to the OP, do you have any plugins running, besides the VSTi you wish to use?

I have noticed that some plugins (like SIR) add a global latency, regardless of the buffer setting.

Also, have you tried installing the LATEST drivers from the Tascam website? Also, have you considered updating the firmware? Both links are on this page.

Cheers :)

yeah there are plugins going on th op is now optimized the firmware is upto date and the driver is. the best latency i get is 2ms in and 12ms out combined is noticable so any ideas is appriacted

Actually, latency DECREASES when sample rate INCREASES. If you're getting, say, 5ms at 48kHz, you should get roughly half that at 96kHz. This is due to the samples being half the length.

Yes, but you hit the performance limit so much faster in 96 and thus you need to raise the buffer size = more latency.

Back