Trouble with new TASCAM + Cubase

shoegaze

I'm not entirely sure if this has been asked, but, I recently bought the TASCAM US-1800 input with Cubase 5, and I've been having some hair pulling issues getting it running...

The first thing I've tried doing with the new gear was DI'ing my guitar just to get a feel for how everything functions. All the drivers and software have been set up and registered, everything works individually, the interface is definitely picking up my instrument, and so was Cubase for a moment. Anyways, part of the setup requires you to go to the "Devices" menu and change the drivers from "built in" (I'm guessing are my Mac speakers and mic?) to the US-1800. One common nuisance is the TASCAM driver isn't always an option to change to every time I go to switch it; I've tried quitting Cubase, turning off the interface, reopening Cubase and then turning the interface back on; leaving the interface and starting Cubase, and nothing will give me the option. I only got it twice before, and I'm pretty sure the interface was switched off before I booted Cubase. It worked for a bit, I saved the template so I wouldn't have to mess with it next time I went to go record, then closed Cubase to reopen with my custom template and, sure enough, the drivers were all back to "built in" and my busses were gone as well. Can anyone with the same/similar rig walk me through the bugs? I used protools in my class, so Cubase is totally foreign to me. Plus I've never had to set up the interface with the recording software before either.

Thanks for any who happen to help.

Sounds like you have a bad connection. Try another USB port/cable. If that not working, reinstall the US1800 driver (from website).

Always have interface powered up before starting Cubase. It will not work otherwise. Not even sure it will work if interface is not powered on before starting your computer.

Cubase will save the last setting used (ASIO Device and it's buffer settings) . But only if the interface is still connected and powered on.

Ignore the power button on the US1800. :)

Reinstalling the driver seems to have corrected the driver selection issue, so I thank you greatly. I hate how the biggest problems always turn out to be outdated drivers from the manufacturer, and it's always is the last thing I would think it would be. The problem now is routing all the input and out busses to they'll play at the same time, and to stay in the same setting every time I start Cubase... I have the mic in the first XLR input on my interface, so I set the input buss to mono-1 and output buss to mono-1, and I can only hear my recordings through my left side headphone. When I change all to mono-2, I only hear from the right side headphone. I tried making them stereo, but I could still only hear out of one side. I know I'm probably overthinking something very simple again, but I'm totally stuck...

Reinstalling the driver seems to have corrected the driver selection issue, so I thank you greatly. I hate how the biggest problems always turn out to be outdated drivers from the manufacturer, and it's always is the last thing I would think it would be. The problem now is routing all the input and out busses to they'll play at the same time, and to stay in the same setting every time I start Cubase... I have the mic in the first XLR input on my interface, so I set the input buss to mono-1 and output buss to mono-1, and I can only hear my recordings through my left side headphone. When I change all to mono-2, I only hear from the right side headphone. I tried making them stereo, but I could still only hear out of one side. I know I'm probably overthinking something very simple again, but I'm totally stuck...

The drivers that come with interfaces are packaged when the unit is produced. Software move forward much more quickly, and the manufacturers are not going to open the boxes to insert new installation CD's. It is normal to need to update the drivers from a manufacturers website.

Ok, so now wait, Forget about the output bus being set to anything other than 'Stereo Out'.

You seem to know how to create a input bus. Make sure it is mono for any mono source. The default Output Bus in Cubase (VST Connections) will be US 1800 out 1 and 2 (Stereo Out). Don't change that. If you have, change it back.

Create mono tracks and then select the input bus you want from the Inspector window. Do not change the output there unless you have already created a 'Group Channel' if that is something you need.

I am around for a bit if you wish more details on how to get going. I have a setup guide that I posted a few times. Just need to find it...

Here it is:

You must first select the 1800 in Cubase. Devices>Device Setup...VST Audio System. In the drop down menu at top, select 'US-1800'. While on that page, check the 'Release Driver' box. This will allow the 1800 to play WMP, Youtube, whatever, while Cubase is open.

Now, go to Devices>VST Connections (F4 shortcut). Add a mono input bus. You will need to create a input bus for each input needed from the 1800. For each input bus created, you will left click on the 'Device Port' column (highlighted in yellow), and select the input channel of the 1800 that you wish to use. Leave the default Stereo output bus.

Now, create a track to record to. Project>Add Track>Audio>Mono.

In the 'Inspector' window at the left of the main project window, look for a symbol that looks kinda like this: >] SEE ATTACHMENT

This is where you select the bus you created in VST Connections. You will change this on each track that is using a different input channel on the 1800.

If you don't see the symbol, click on the track name at the top of the Inspector window to pull to the main Inspector screen.

You will need to also toggle the monitor button on the track to hear the input (it looks like a side view of a speaker). Toggle it back off to hear playback.
--to make this toggle automatically; File>Preferences>VST. In the Auto Monitoring drop down menu, select Tapemachine Style.

Let me know if this gets you up and running.

Attached Images Attached Images

Attachments

• Input selection.JPG
    Input selection.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 18
Ahh, dude, that makes perfect sense; one mic, one cable, one input, to mono inputs, mono recordings and out stereo speakers.. I guess I just needed someone to articulate it, I literally tried every other option till now. Thanks again!

Also, while you're answering questions, I was wondering for future reference how to DI any instrument through the 9 and 10 (imput jacks) on the interface? I hadn't really given it a shot since I waded through that driver nonsense.

Thanks for the tutorial post too by the way, I love when things are listed step by step, really appreciate it.

No problem man. I just wish there was someone that did that when I was pulling my hair out. :)

Just run a guitar or bass directly into the inputs 9 or 10. Switch it to instrument or whatever it is called. Not Line. Sorry, I upgraded a year or so ago so don't have one in front of me.

Also, many don't realize that you can also use these inputs for dynamic microphones, as it has the same preamps as the other channels. Just no phantom power. XLR to 1/4" cable or adapter is needed. I have recorded 10 mics on drums many times, using 9/10 as HH and ride inputs.

Huh, still can't seem to figure it out. I went ahead and made a mono input for the 9th plug in on the interface (where my bass is connected), pushed the "guitar line in" button in, and I'm still not receiving any signal from my bass... Volumes are at max along with monitor and mix knobs.

Look at the last thing in my instructions. Select the bus you created in VST Connections as the input for the track. Best to name the input bus there to keep things in order.

To be clear, select the input bus for channel 9 you created in tbe the Inspector window for the track you are trying to record to.

Ok, cool, I got bass working. Totally overlooked the input/output selection on the inspector panel. Once I labelled and organized everything, I selected the buss I labelled "Bass/DI" and it started recording the bass. I can't tell you how grateful I am for all the help. I took a college course in protools, so when it came to buying Cubase, I kinda figured all the work I previously did would have to be totally revisited in a different program.

Cool man.

What you learned is still useful. Just a different workflow with Cubase. It will soon make wonder why anyone would use Protools. :)

Just my biased opinion. I could be wrong... :D

Yeah, I'll get the hang of it eventually. There's nothing to it once you figure out what everything does, and where all the functions are located. The EQing, effects and stuff are still pretty familiar. Just did a rough cover of New Order's "Ceremony", going to use it as a sort of practice test in getting reacquainted with my EQ and automation. Fun stuff. :guitar:

Back